General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Ape
Pro
Pro
honda crankshaftquestion B16a1 vs. B18c1

Post by Ape »

Hello gentlemen,

im being in the process currently of helping a friend with his b16a1 engine, and we noticed that some of the stroker cranks for the B16a1 engine have 87.2mm stroke. also we noticed that the B18c1 crank seems to have exactly the same stroke, as the strokercranks. Could it be that this crank will fit into the B16?? since we noticed its the only honda crank with that stroke, and that way could be perhaps money saved, that could be spent on better rods.

help would be greatly appreciated since nobody seems to know over here.

thanks
There is always advancement to be made.
Fkned
Post by Fkned »

Yes the 87.2 mm crank is the GSR factory crank as is the 89 mm ls crank both will fit w/custom pistons/rods and or a deck plate.There are also 92,95,and 100 mm strokers from Eagle and Crower that will work with an ls or B18c block since it has a taller deck height then a B16.
RMFheaders

Post by RMFheaders »

yep he's right.All B series cranks will interchange with all the B blocks.. So if your paying more for an after market 87mm crank than you can get a stock B18 crank for ,Don't do it.
Also don't forget Leslie Durst has a 103mm crank x 87.5 bore .Problem is that the pistons are wore out after about 6 pass's
The B16A block is .300 shorter than all the other B series blocks.Or you could use stock B18 rods.What works good is leave the 77mm crank in and bore it to 85mm.It can buzz 10,000 rpms all day.And make 200hp doing it.
Ape
Pro
Pro
Post by Ape »

77 and boring to 85 was something i had in mind too, since i normally do motorcycles. so i noticed the very short rod ratio. But as said i dont know too much about the blocks, and interchangeability, honda made. knew that once with fiats.
Ok but that means what i suspected, one could just get a 87.2 mm crank and drop it in, are the mains and everything same size.
Is there any good book about it. specs and everything, since i do not like working blindfolded??
i assume it should be in chiltons??

thanks a lot guys
RMFheaders

Post by RMFheaders »

No you can't just drop it in a B16A block because the deck is .300 shorter than the others.You will have to get rods.But yes the crank fits in the block.
Ape
Pro
Pro
Post by Ape »

With the rods i assumed that they might need to get canged to different lengths, thanks though for the tip anyways.
that was my thought, get the cheaper crank, perhaps ebay, or some forum, and use the saved money for better rods, carillos??

but the mains do fit, if the crank fits into the block spacewise.
Fkned
Post by Fkned »

If you want to goto any bore larger then about 82 mm then you will need replacement sleeves the stock sleeves won't go there.
Ape
Pro
Pro
Post by Ape »

where can the sleeves be had???
Im more and more into the idea of overboring(that for sure), perhaps a decking plate and slightly longer rods and shorter pistons, to increase rod length, and the associated phanomena.
Does this make sense??
i just noticed the very short rod ratio, what seems kinda on the short side to me, but than most likely honda knew what they did!

regards
Fkned
Post by Fkned »

There are many shops that install sleeves,Darton,ERL(very nice deck plates),Goden Eagle,etc.Where are you located?
Ape
Pro
Pro
Post by Ape »

im located in the heartlands of europe, so i need to order stuff through retailers from the us and get it installed over here.

regards