Thermal Coating's (tools)And(prep)

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

XR8TED

Thermal Coating's (tools)And(prep)

Post by XR8TED »

I am curious to see what some are using to coat the insides of headers, Turbo manifolds ect... I would also like to hear what steps you are using to clean and prep pics would be extremely helpful... Thanks Dave l
XR8TED

Post by XR8TED »

I dispersant coated and ported some of my parts.. I want to do the block aswell

Artsi_L

Post by Artsi_L »

Have a look here: http://www.devilscastle.net/

This guy has done thermal coating, and brushed on some friction reducing treatment in cylinder bores..etc. Please see links to project updates, especially this one: http://www.saunalahti.fi/~sillu/asiakka ... 005-1h.htm

You may email him at: timo@devilscastle.net

regards - Artsi
XR8TED

Post by XR8TED »

lol I just coated alot of the same parts at the shop for a dodge diesel.
PFM
Pro
Pro

Post by PFM »

All,

I have done some coating as well, any ideas on a good way to do the intake ports? I have not had much luck there, I use a small detail gun but still do not like the results.

Thanks in advance,

PFM
XR8TED

Post by XR8TED »

A badger 150 i belive it is called has a huge assortment of tips that will spray thicker coatings plus it will let you lay it on nice and thin...
XR8TED

Post by XR8TED »

Here is some pics of some 4.6 2v turbo pipes we have done We use a small detail gun for this.. Only problem is you can only spray the inside so far I would like something that would allow me to coat the complete inside with out worrying about the coating being to thick. I need something that will lay it in there nice and uniform.I recently kind of took over the coating dept. at are shop and I really want to take it to the next step quality wise.. ANy help would be greatly apreciated..
Thanks Dave
DavidHarsay
Pro
Pro

Post by DavidHarsay »

Nice... I need some 4.6L Turbo Pipes!

A couple of friends of mine work for the flight department for Leprino Foods... Leprino makes a lot of Mozzarella cheeze for Pappa Johns, Pizza Hut, etc.

A few years ago, these guys set up a large oven, and a spray booth, and they started to do teflon coatings to the insides of these tubes that make mozzarella cheese. They had a variety of spray nozzles that reached inside of the tubes. They were basically 1/4" stainless steel tubes etither straight or slightly curved, with a spray tip at the end which sprayed radially (at a 90 degree angle to the tube, at 360 degrees)... if that makes sense. Afterwards they bake the larger tubes, and then they smooth the overspray and rough spots with fine steel wool.

Wish I could help more, but just offering hope that there is something simple outh there for you. Actually another option may be like a pre-val gun (with the aerosol can of propellant and jar of coating product) with a very thin spray tube attached to the plastic nozzle... you could experiment with it a little bit. For $7 it's worth a shot. I'm sure you know what it is, but here's a link...

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... valgun.php

Get a nozzle from a can of carb cleaner with the straw, and see how well it sprays the coatings. May even heat the end of the straw and expand a little bit to form a miniature cone for better spray atomization.