Valve reliefs in a BB Chevy, Yes or No

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Ron Miller
Pro
Pro
Valve reliefs in a BB Chevy, Yes or No

Post by Ron Miller »

I searched for this topic with no luck, So I'm going to ask this question. I'm assembling a 454 2 bolt block, 0 deck, with a 4.280 bore. I have been thinking about adding valve reliefs on the block both intake & exhaust. I know this has been done before but I have never really heard of any real solid claims or gains. Has any body out their seen any solid gains with their engine on a dyno or increased in flow on a bench head stand. I have scribed the deck to match the chambers, and their is a obvious edge. I'm using a BB Chevy oval port true closed chamber head casting number 3872702. The heads have the 2.19 & 1.88 valves installed with major chamber un shrouding. The heads will be milled to at least .030, and no more than .060. When all done & said, I would like to see 9.5 compression ratio, no more than 10.5 with my flat top piston L 2377. So, I would like to hear all Good and Bad ideas on this topic.

Thanks for looking,
Ron Miller
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

I have done the chamfer in the top of the cylinder all my life. You only need to worry about the intake side, not the exhaust. I think it could be a very big deal on a serious engine, but your build is pretty mild, so it might be worth something like 10, maybe 15 HP- I do know on high HP engines ( 800-900 hp ) it can be worth 20 to 30 HP

JOE SHERMAN RACING
rskrause
Expert
Expert

Post by rskrause »

I don't think there is any downside other than the time it takes to do it. I Certainly defer to Mr. Sherman re: the magnitude of any benefit.

Richard
Ron Miller
Pro
Pro
Post by Ron Miller »

Joe & Richard,

Thanks for the replies and info. Looks like I will be grinding the intake reliefs today.

Thanks Again,

Ron
Ron Miller
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Just make sure they don't go as deep as the top ring's upper travel limit. :)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Ron Miller
Pro
Pro
Post by Ron Miller »

MadBill wrote:Just make sure they don't go as deep as the top ring's upper travel limit. :)
MadBill,

Thanks for the heads up ! I have that covered. I maid a simple tool with a 90 degree scribe. I set it - .030 from where the top ring will set at TDC.

Thanks Again for the reply,

Ron

P.S. Why do you call you self MadBill ??????? L.M.A.O.
Ron Miller
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Ron Miller wrote:...P.S. Why do you call you self MadBill ??????? L.M.A.O.
My (still) best friend when we first met 50-odd years ago lived on a farm near our cottage. Over time his dad noticed that come July each year, things would start going badly wrong with their peaceful rural life: Grass fires, explosions, calls from the cops about a pair of VW's terrorizing a local subdivision... Somehow :roll: :roll: he associated the mayhem with my arrival for the summer and came up with the "Mad Bill" moniker and it has stuck all these years.. :oops:
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
BCLS776
Pro
Pro

Post by BCLS776 »

bigjoe1 wrote:I have done the chamfer in the top of the cylinder all my life. You only need to worry about the intake side, not the exhaust. I think it could be a very big deal on a serious engine, but your build is pretty mild, so it might be worth something like 10, maybe 15 HP- I do know on high HP engines ( 800-900 hp ) it can be worth 20 to 30 HP

JOE SHERMAN RACING
I've seen blocks with just the intake side chamfered and some with both sides chamfered. Head gaskets often have a little bulge there too. Is it just a tiny bit more power to do the exhaust side, which is why some don't do it? Not worth the effort?
Bryan
583 in 225" hardtail dragster
Northern Lights Raceway
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

The exhaust flow does NOT need the chanfer like the intake side does. It will just lower the compression

JOE SHEWRMAN RACING
Eric68
Expert
Expert
Post by Eric68 »

Not to hijack, but how much power do you gentlemen think a head with a chamber 4.500" across with a 2.30" valve would give up on a 4.310" bore? I'm looking at a substantial ledge on the intake side of the chamber.

I'm helping a friend upgrade from a 496 to a 555 short block. The heads on his 496 seem to be a much better fit for the bigger 4.560" bore.
E85 racer and E85 carb builder
www.horsepowerinnovations.com

68 Camaro 427" E85 powered small block, 9.95 @ 133 mph best motor ET through the mufflers. 1.319 best sixty foot.
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

MadBill wrote:
Ron Miller wrote:...P.S. Why do you call you self MadBill ??????? L.M.A.O.
My (still) best friend when we first met 50-odd years ago lived on a farm near our cottage. Over time his dad noticed that come July each year, things would start going badly wrong with their peaceful rural life: Grass fires, explosions, calls from the cops about a pair of VW's terrorizing a local subdivision... Somehow :roll: :roll: he associated the mayhem with my arrival for the summer and came up with the "Mad Bill" moniker and it has stuck all these years.. :oops:
:lol: :lol: been wanting to ask that question myself. Great stuff... :lol:
prostreetL-78
Pro
Pro

Post by prostreetL-78 »

Eric68 wrote:Not to hijack, but how much power do you gentlemen think a head with a chamber 4.500" across with a 2.30" valve would give up on a 4.310" bore? I'm looking at a substantial ledge on the intake side of the chamber.

I'm helping a friend upgrade from a 496 to a 555 short block. The heads on his 496 seem to be a much better fit for the bigger 4.560" bore.
My Profiler 320`s flowed 18 cfm less on a 4.31 bore vs. 4.5" They have 2.300 intake valve also. Probably looking at 35 hp.
Galatians 2:20: I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

Watch out how far you notch the bore or you will be in for buying custom head gaskets...my two cents.
pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: Valve reliefs in a BB Chevy, Yes or No

Post by pdq67 »

A good thread and I did both valves on my Merlin cast-iron large ovals with 2.19"/1.88" valves back years ago. I do have a set of 8 Manley 2.300" valves for them but never put them in.

pdq67
MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

Re:

Post by MotionMachine »

rskrause wrote: Sat May 09, 2009 1:14 am I don't think there is any downside other than the time it takes to do it. I Certainly defer to Mr. Sherman re: the magnitude of any benefit.

Richard
Takes no time at all, less than 30 seconds each :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDc77irwo_Q