Angle Milling and Rocker Arm Geometry

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

lil289

Angle Milling and Rocker Arm Geometry

Post by lil289 »

What effect, if any, does severe angle milling have on rocker arm geometry? I know that you can adjust things with pushrod length or, in the case of pedestal mounts, shims but what does it do, if anything, to valve motion. It seems as though the angle between the pushrod and the rocker stud will change, as well as the angle between the pushrod and the valve. I know that the rocker ratio is designed into the rocker and can't change but if the angle between the pushrod and rocker changes then what? Will valve acceleration rates and max lift be the same? Is it more difficult to get a narrow, centralized wear pattern over the valve stem? Does it increase side loading on the valve guides?

Thanks
idunno

Post by idunno »

It has no effect on the valve tip patterns only moves the oil hole location in the pushrod to the rocker.
d64falcon
Pro
Pro

Post by d64falcon »

I was was wounder the same. My 351w heads have 2 degrees milled off. my problem is the push rods rub the the push rod holes. I had to mill out the holes to 5/8" for clearance.
Darrell
67 Mustang 3000# 310ci NA 10.17 130.5mph,1.36 60'
panic
Guru
Guru

Post by panic »

Changing the range of rotation on the pushrod end does change the scrub pattern, but not enough to matter.