Long rod small block Vs Short rod

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Aussie Bob

Long rod small block Vs Short rod

Post by Aussie Bob »

Hi guys, need some help on the long rod short rod theroies. Currently running 6" rods in my cleveland with 2v heads, makes spot on 500hp & 460Ft/lbs and only swing it to 6800. Our new rules state that must go to 4v heads so doing a complete new engine. Looking at the magic 600+ mark in Hp and looking for 500ft/lbs. I know I'll have to swing it harder to get more HP but now people here a confusing me here with all there therioes. Yes we have to run under 6 litre. Can any body give me some sound advice????
OldSStroker
Guru
Guru

Re: Long rod small block Vs Short rod

Post by OldSStroker »

Aussie Bob wrote:Hi guys, need some help on the long rod short rod theroies. Currently running 6" rods in my cleveland with 2v heads, makes spot on 500hp & 460Ft/lbs and only swing it to 6800. Our new rules state that must go to 4v heads so doing a complete new engine. Looking at the magic 600+ mark in Hp and looking for 500ft/lbs. I know I'll have to swing it harder to get more HP but now people here a confusing me here with all there therioes. Yes we have to run under 6 litre. Can any body give me some sound advice????
Rod length isn't the number one factor in designing you 6 L engine for 600 hp/500 lb-ft. Getting it to flow air and 'swing some revs' will help a lot.

Get hooked up with some engine builders who have made that kind of power on the 4V Ford Mod. Be prepared to spend more money than you have on the 2V Cleveland.

Why did the rules force you into 4V heads? Won't that drive many competitors out of the running due to cost? 100 hp/L with 2v Cleveland heads should be doable. Too bad they won't let you do that.