Help rocker wear pattern w/ pics

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

95GTSpeedDemon
Post by 95GTSpeedDemon »

Nate, im about 99.9% sure i used the one i had trouble with first. The thing i have noticed is, the trunnion body sits on the threads more than anything, no matter what length PR i have, where does yours sit?

I put a lash cap on, comp gold, checking spring, Lash cap, and a 6.450 PR (.50 less PR plus the "subtraction" of the lash cap) and it was ever so slightly intake side biased and of course did not have a definite mark all the way across. All the witness marks i got today have been .065 wide, im going to try and get that down. Nate, what was your width also?
289nate
Expert
Expert

Post by 289nate »

95GTSpeedDemon wrote:Nate, im about 99.9% sure i used the one i had trouble with first. The thing i have noticed is, the trunnion body sits on the threads more than anything, no matter what length PR i have, where does yours sit?

I put a lash cap on, comp gold, checking spring, Lash cap, and a 6.450 PR (.50 less PR plus the "subtraction" of the lash cap) and it was ever so slightly intake side biased and of course did not have a definite mark all the way across. All the witness marks i got today have been .065 wide, im going to try and get that down. Nate, what was your width also?
I bought longer studs for mine. They were ARP for a big block chevy. A bit over 2" long. The threads ended part way through the trunnion. Wanted more thread engagement than the 1.9 inchers that came with it would allow.

My width the best I could tell was right about .050. So did the offset HS rocker allow the roller tip to sit on the valve level? I'm sure it must've helped.
95GTSpeedDemon
Post by 95GTSpeedDemon »

It did some, but with the lash cap and the golds, as you can see in the pictures, the gold was just about as good.
even without the lash cap and the golds it got better and thats something that does not make sense to me. i might have just been to frustrated before
and had the guideplate a little off.

if i move the guide plate toward the exhaust valve, the pattern goes past the "1/2 mark", but since the roller is not centered left/right and part of the roller extends past the edge of the valve on one side and does not reach the opposite edge, thats as far as the pattern can possibly go.

so... center the roller with the guide plate = rocker binding against stud and cocks up.
Not center the roller = pattern goes almost as far as the roller extends to.

i took the length checker, no lash cap, no guide plate, centered the roller and set to zero lash and did 6.45, 6.4, 6.35, and 6.3 and the pattern got wider and moved towards the exhaust and only made a mark to the 1/2 "mark" on the valve tip.

I tired a few more things earlier and just sent Jay an email to see if i could pick his brain a little about it.
gmkillr
Post by gmkillr »

Any updates?
95GTSpeedDemon
Post by 95GTSpeedDemon »

I think i fixed my problem. I found that the way i was adjusting the valves, if i remember correctly it was the intake that i was doing wrong.
it caused lash to show up since i was not fully on the heal of the lobe and thats what made it so noisy. i havent been able to test it due to a broke tranny.

Before: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v97/D ... GTIdle.flv

After: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v97/D ... I_1341.flv
95GTSpeedDemon
Re: Help rocker wear pattern w/ pics

Post by 95GTSpeedDemon »

It seems that the thread has died off.
Hopefully i will be getting a stock shortblock together with the canfields and i can recheck everything; with a stock cam.
That will help narrow down where the problem is at. I re-read the old posts and i need to really measure the angles of the studs and valves. See where the problem lies.
Having time away from the engine has helped unfog my diagnosis steps.

I will update when i have new information.
sphere478

Post by sphere478 »

Good info in this thread i decided to join to share my own adventure with this same problem heres a link to my adventure
http://www.v8s10.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... &start=160

Basically i just got it running again after discovering this problem i didnt have the problem before when i ran ball fulcrum rockers cause those rockers can tilt on two axis not just one. So i came up with an idea for my new roller rockers and that was to make spherical seat washers and place them between the trunion and poly lock to allow the roller rocker to tiilt like a ball fulcrum rocker

So far its working wish me luck hopefully future people who read this dont find out in that link that it didnt work lol. I have a hour and a half run time on it atm.
95GTSpeedDemon

Post by 95GTSpeedDemon »

i havent read through your thread yet.

holy crap i just realized this thread ended in 2010, so much has changed since then.

i made a tool to check run out instead of the marker trick. i have the correct length pushrods for sure now. i did not check to see if the rockers were "canting" less now.
I have figured out that unless i go to shaft mounts on these heads, that canting can not be fixed. it is what it is.

comp has lifetime warranty on the ultra golds, so if they wear out sooner...
lorax
Guru
Guru

Post by lorax »

The link will not allow you to see the thread without registering to the site.

I am trying to imagine how a roller rocker with a trunnion and tilt because it has some special washer on top ot it.

I can't tilt my rockers on the stud if there was no poly lock on it at all.
grant6395
Pro
Pro

Post by grant6395 »

take 2 pencils.put one in the guide hole,the other in the stud hole.view from the side.any misalignment is very apperant.i.e.not machined,or threaded parallel.
grant6395
Pro
Pro

Post by grant6395 »

holy crap i just realized this thread ended in 2010, so much has changed since then. :lol:
sphere478

Post by sphere478 »

didnt realize you would have to have a account to read that thats odd...

heres some more explaination
http://s1150.photobucket.com/user/spher ... 4.mp4.html

http://s1150.photobucket.com/user/spher ... e.jpg.html

http://s1150.photobucket.com/user/spher ... 3.mp4.html

on my heads the valve tips are further apart than the studs (procomp) i believe that is my issue not out of plane studs/valves i ran the motor and drove it around yesterday everything is still working
sphere478

Post by sphere478 »

well they worked. until the grade 8 steel wwasn't strong enough for the load.. :( perhaps a stronger material could do it. I had one split on me today at 5k. no dammage except to a rocker arm. i guess im going to try a true ball fulcrum rocker now. hopefully the spring pressure isnt too much for it. i tried. hopefully my experiment helps someone some day