ProCharger supercharger questions

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Swede

ProCharger supercharger questions

Post by Swede »

Does anybody of you have any experience with the ProCharger series of superchargers. I'm in the process of turbocharging a audi V8 (aluminum 4.2l 32valve) but consider the alternative with a supercharger instead..

The car is to be used only at the strip and I imagine that the combination of 4WD and the direct response of a supercharger could be better than the lag of a turbo.

What do you think?

/Lars
Ape
Pro
Pro
Post by Ape »

hi

why not putting on a eaton off a mercedes, cui-wise it should fit and most of the externals (safety pop off) should be allready on it. I would assume the eaton would be somewhat easy to get at the breakers, and perhaps there are manifolds out for such applications in germany??.
Also the spiralcut system has good critics for continuous feed.

cheers
There is always advancement to be made.
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

-One of the big problems I see is you'll probably need to have dual keys or some other method of locking the crankshaft to the drive pulley.
-It's quite common to have the stock crank keys shear from the extra drag of the blower.
oldhead
Expert
Expert

Post by oldhead »

Why don't you read'Weiand 871 VS. Vortech" you will see what I found out....I tryed both found 253 hp. more with a centrifical(?) then a roots, if I would have gone to a larger one the power would have been even more, now turbo has more low end then mine....OLDHEAD :D :D :D :D
Quicker then most
Motorman 407
Post by Motorman 407 »

Procharger high boost systems like the F1 series can produce over 35lbs of boost easely doubling your power. Its a good idea to make the hub a little tight on the crank 3 thousands press with a quarter inch keyway using a tool steel key. You also need some sort of crank support with this type of boost. Check out this site from your neck of the woods http://www.blackout.nu/
Klick on blackoutss klick on engine / changing to a bigger crank / crank support for some ideas how to make the support.
Procharger also has a reverse rotation blower for reverse mount in case there is a space limitation.
BigPurp

Post by BigPurp »

Will this audi V8 be in an audi or in a race car? Packing wise you'll find it much easier to work a turbo under the hood (or fenderwells) of an audi, it's very very difficult to fit a supercharger in there. Having to keep it inline with the serp belt etc. is a big limiting factor.

Also the procharger F1 is HUUUUGE, no need what so ever for something that monsterous.

Have you looked at the TT S4's? and the newer TT A8's and what not.

Lag isn't a big issue with a boost controller and standalone. You can richen it up on the 2step so it will spool a lot harder while your staged. AWD cars are hard on clutches let me tell ya, put one nasty clutch in there cause your gonna need it to launch that car hard. Also sizing the turbo properly has a lot to do with it, get macho and go to big and the car will forever be cursed with the supra bog.
SStrokerAce
Guru
Guru

Post by SStrokerAce »

You also might want to look at the S6 motor.... basically a Twin Turbo version of the 4.2L V8 Audi. That would be the first place I would start.

Bret