Cleaning carbon from piston tops - any homebrew remedies?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

nich

Post by nich »

Do NOT use sodium hydroxide to clean aluminum. It is LYE which has been mentioned earlier is caustic and will destroy aluminum parts.
Cylinder Block Machinist
C and S Performance
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

Thanks Nich......lucky I asked.....
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

Walnut shell mixture from SstrokerAce...

just did a set for a customer... Customer thought I bought him new pistons!
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

Okay, I'll bite....what's the walnut shell mixture?
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Post by airflowdevelop »

shoedoos wrote:Okay, I'll bite....what's the walnut shell mixture?
Honestly... I don't know.

It is a mixture of different grit walnut shells... Bret would know for sure.
2.2=8
Pro
Pro

Post by 2.2=8 »

I discovered this by accident and have been using it for 25years to clean carbon from pistons........Permatex spray gasket remover. spray on carbon liberally, wait five minutes and gently scrub with small brass or stainless brush. softens carbon very fast, just wipe off with rag.
monstercutlass
Post by monstercutlass »

go to any local heavy truck detailer and have them acidized.wont hurt the aluminum and only takes a few minutes to soak.its just a spray on solution.i just did a set for a friend of mine and they look new.
mike ramirez racing
Pro
Pro

Post by mike ramirez racing »

X2 on GM top engine cleaner. However its getting harder to get that stuff. I just used some on my pistons on my saturn. Let it sit over night and stuff wipes off with a rag in the morning.

I've also used purple power or Castrol super clean in my wash basin and hot water. Cleans parts nicely. I let stuff sit for a couple of hours and scrub away.
Joe Sherman is my hero.
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

The first really high cranking pressure engine i slapped together got the full treatment of sharp edge removal...The pistons had carbon on the tops, but the rest of the piston was really clean..

non chemical
Frown if you want to, I went to the river and gathered 5 gallons of sand that was being blown across the top of the river banks..very fine sand

I taped my pistons and bagged the rods and more tape then with a siphon feed sand blaster(the 18$ cheap one) i blasted the tops of the pistons..It was slow due to the fine sand, maybe 1 minute or 1.5 minutes per piston

Then washed them off in the bath tub, hot water and dry....

To clean small parts like plugs and carbs i now use hot water and baking soda...
t3steve
Post by t3steve »

I've been told that reving the engine up and spraying water through the carb will clean the carbon off.
Has anyone heard or tried this?
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

I would be inclined to check the ring groove clearances before I went to all that trouble. If old and subjected to detonation, rich conditions, or bad seals they might not be worth the effort.
Dcal
mike ramirez racing
Pro
Pro

Post by mike ramirez racing »

I think we can all agree bead blasting the pistons would be the best. He was looking for something easier. Not everybody has access to a bead blaster or can go out and buy one. Plus you have to make sure you tape the skirts and pin area well and after which you need to wash the parts again to get rid of the excess sand/glass beads.
Joe Sherman is my hero.
Whitewater Racer
Pro
Pro

Post by Whitewater Racer »

Its main ingredient is sodium hydroxide.
Some common cleaners contain Lye, which will attack Aluminum
Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) is lye, also sometimes incorrectly called caustic soda. It is a VERY strong base. Strong bases attack aluminum. The interaction of aluminum and NaOH produces hydrogen gas. NaOH can cut the anodizing right off aluminum. It will make a polished surface cloudy and can lead to further degradation of the aluminum.
-Gary Labrum
Wilder, ID

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the Thrill of SPEED overcomes the FEAR of DEATH!"
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

Just to let you all know the result of using Lye (Sodium Hydroxide) was disasterous.....I was given a sample and used it on an old piston.

When I dropped the piston into the solution it bubbled and foamed like mad. It does strip the carbon off, but then it turns the piston black. Once it dried, the area dipped changed to a dark charcoal grey which looks permanent to me.

The whole process took about 20 minutes.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Long, long ago, I left a cast iron motorcycle head to soak in a strong lye solution in an alumium pot. When I came back, the lye was everywhere but the pot was not... :cry:
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.