unidentified rod bolts: MSA 009

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

unidentified rod bolts: MSA 009

Post by Alan Roehrich »

I've got a set of no name probably Chinese H beam connecting rods in the shop, 6" small block Chevy. They have no markings on them at all, other than one rod has 281W on the side, another has 283W on the side. The rest have been sanded for balancing. The customer does not know who made the rods. The bolts are 7/16" cap screws, that look just like any other you'd find. The only thing is, where you usually see the rod brand name and ARP on the head of the bolt, and the material, these only have "MSA 009" on the head.

Does anyone know what brand the rods and rod bolts are? Does anyone have torque specs, or even better, stretch specs? I'd like to get this thing finished ASAP, any help would be appreciated greatly.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

MSA aerospace fasteners are made in CA, USA. I believe the rod bolts are 8740 material.

http://www.msaerospace.com/

Have substituted ARP 8740 specs on MSA fasteners before.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

Thank you VERY much, that's a big help, it will let me finish this thing tomorrow.
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

I called twice, and got very little help. But an email got me an Excel spreadsheet with a list of all of their rod bolts. Unfortunately, the part numbers are a little vague. I was able to get a good idea what bolt I had by measuring them and comparing them to the list.