Dart vs Brodix vs AFR cylinder heads

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

scottcleaver wrote:Bret,
Are the 230cc Dart heads not worth working on to get additional flow?
IMO The problem with adding more cc volume, to a 23* stock port location SBC head is, after a certain point, all that volume is added in the wrong area. If the pushrods are to be in stock location, and the head is for a stock location intake, all that extra volume(and csa) is added after the pushrod area. If the valve throat/bowl area is made bigger, even if it flows more, the speed differential in the port has to be more now, because the pushrod area can't be made bigger.

I'm not saying the 230 heads can't be improved, but making the bowl/throat area bigger for a little cfm, probably won't help.

I know you asked Bret, but this is my opinion, and Bret may not agree.

Randy
movealong

Re: Dart vs Brodix vs AFR cylinder heads

Post by movealong »

movealong wrote:We have a new 377 for our 2200 lb Vega, need an off the shelf cylinder head, running comp cams roller 260/268 .660 cam that he already has.

Wants either Dart Pro 1 plat 215 or Brodix Jesse James 210 cnc ported or afr competio eliminator 210 cylinder heads. All are about the same price so which one? We want the one to get us down the track fastest. any experience with these heads? thank you
So has anybody run any of the above heads? comments?
airflowdevelop
Guru
Guru

Re: Dart vs Brodix vs AFR cylinder heads

Post by airflowdevelop »

movealong wrote:
movealong wrote:We have a new 377 for our 2200 lb Vega, need an off the shelf cylinder head, running comp cams roller 260/268 .660 cam that he already has.

Wants either Dart Pro 1 plat 215 or Brodix Jesse James 210 cnc ported or afr competio eliminator 210 cylinder heads. All are about the same price so which one? We want the one to get us down the track fastest. any experience with these heads? thank you
So has anybody run any of the above heads? comments?
yes... all three. To be frank....

the dart needs a VJ even if you don't port it.

Jesse James should keep building bikes. He might want to take Brodix with him.

the AFR needs work to live up to its "legend". And hope you don't hit water in the process. (Sorry Joe)

If I had a choice, I would buy the darts and prep them.
SStrokerAce
Guru
Guru

Post by SStrokerAce »

randy331 wrote:
scottcleaver wrote:Bret,
Are the 230cc Dart heads not worth working on to get additional flow?
IMO The problem with adding more cc volume, to a 23* stock port location SBC head is, after a certain point, all that volume is added in the wrong area. If the pushrods are to be in stock location, and the head is for a stock location intake, all that extra volume(and csa) is added after the pushrod area. If the valve throat/bowl area is made bigger, even if it flows more, the speed differential in the port has to be more now, because the pushrod area can't be made bigger.

I'm not saying the 230 heads can't be improved, but making the bowl/throat area bigger for a little cfm, probably won't help.

I know you asked Bret, but this is my opinion, and Bret may not agree.

Randy
Randy,

right on... all you can do is make the induction system a hourglass if they get too big and that is not a good way to go..... now if you don't have the PR restriction as a issue you can do more and have a nicer head but then you would go with something like a AFD All Pro then!

Dennis nails the 230cc Dart head on the money here...
airflowdevelop wrote: how big of a pump are the going on? the "larger" pro-1 heads have material removed not always in the "correct" place for the application. They are a very good head. out of the box they go 294@.700 on my bench. I have done a 248+ CC deal (which means nothing) that moves very good wind.. so I would not count the head out. For the bigger engines they will want the PR-Pinch welded and offset the intake rocker.
Bret
[img]http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs139.snc1/5928_111214857139_110806152139_2127222_6826389_n.jpg[/img]
[i]Those of you who think you know it all are particularly annoying to those of us who do[/i]- Penske garage sign @ Indy circa '71
SStrokerAce
Guru
Guru

Post by SStrokerAce »

DeltaT wrote:AFR assured me they would hit 321@.650I and 243@.0650E numbers and still gain a few cfm above that.

Jim
Ok so they are not real numbers then..... if they are not put on a bench then they are just advertising numbers and that can be BS be it from a "professional" to a supplier.
[img]http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs139.snc1/5928_111214857139_110806152139_2127222_6826389_n.jpg[/img]
[i]Those of you who think you know it all are particularly annoying to those of us who do[/i]- Penske garage sign @ Indy circa '71
revolutionary
Guru
Guru

Post by revolutionary »

scottcleaver wrote: they came with factory numbers somewhere around 308cfm at 700 lift. Scott
See my comparison post on pg 2 and these heads are nowhere near 308. All those heads were flowed on the same bench with the same 4.060 bore fixture. Flowing on a 4.155 bore will pick up some but not that much.
Daryl

Revolutionary Performance and Machine
scottcleaver

Post by scottcleaver »

These Dart 230 heads are on a 4.155 bore. I guess the only real question should be how much flow can you get and what would it cost. I don't mean crazy money for exotic work, just what a real price should be to get the work done for a typical bracket budget. The real flow numbers when completed would be nice to hear. I do appreciate everyone's input and sorry for hijacking the thread. It just seems a viable question when comparing these three companies that we all expect to pay a price for heads and then how much more to make them great. It's a total price and how much flow that seems important. It's a shame they never, never hit the factory advertised number.
scottcleaver

Post by scottcleaver »

Daryl,
I saw your posted number for the Dart 230 iron head and would guess you are saying that the flow will be the same on both the steel heads as well as the aluminum heads that I have.
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

SStrokerAce wrote:
DeltaT wrote:AFR assured me they would hit 321@.650I and 243@.0650E numbers and still gain a few cfm above that.

Jim
Ok so they are not real numbers then..... if they are not put on a bench then they are just advertising numbers and that can be BS be it from a "professional" to a supplier.
Don't go there Bret.. ;)

I just tested the AFR 185 Ford Comp series and they're "better" than advertised. :D
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
SStrokerAce
Guru
Guru

Post by SStrokerAce »

EDC wrote:
SStrokerAce wrote:

Jim
Don't go there Bret.. ;)

I just tested the AFR 185 Ford Comp series and they're "better" than advertised. :D
It can go both ways... I know i've seen a 225cc head go the wrong way.
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

SStrokerAce wrote:
EDC wrote:
SStrokerAce wrote: Ok so they are not real numbers then..... if they are not put on a bench then they are just advertising numbers and that can be BS be it from a "professional" to a supplier.
Don't go there Bret.. ;)

It can go both ways... I know i've seen a 225cc head go the wrong way.
bah... you put the head on wrong. :D

BTW... HCLS1 is back. ;)
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

SStrokerAce
Guru
Guru

Post by SStrokerAce »

Thank GOD!
Tony Mamo @ AFR
Pro
Pro
To post or not to post....LOL

Post by Tony Mamo @ AFR »

OK....I tried to stay away but I feel compelled to share some opinion as well as some recent pic's of our product. I’m going to TRY to be as objective as possible with my reply but I'm obviously proud to be affiliated with this company as well as proud of the product we produce.

IMO, the biggest problems with threads like this is the hidden agenda's behind certain posters comments. Maybe someone is a fan of Brand Y.....it really doesn't matter if Brand X is any better....there going to tell you to purchase brand Y.

Maybe a rep of Brand X pissed off someone years back by not sending them a free part they thought they deserved or gave them a big enough discount....guess what....he's going to promote Brand Y as well....or maybe Brand Z.....but it certainly won’t be Brand X.

Also, let’s be frank....there are alot of economics involved behind some posters recommendations as well. Is it in their best interest to promote an affordable very capable cylinder head that doesn't need additional porting to produce much better than average results?? Always consider the source...

We are constantly working to bring you guys the best mass produced (reasonably affordable) out of the box cylinder head that will be effective in 95 out of a 100 combinations. We also strive to bring you guys the most efficient out of the box heads as well with more flow per given cross section or port volume. I think most agree that’s a winning formula for good acceleration (a port that flows alot of air thru a small hole has a high airspeed, more inertia for better cylinder fill, and usually makes good power and accelerates harder than a larger less efficient port).

We are also always looking for ways to improve our product and never sit on our laurels. Since the release of the clean sheet design Eliminators a year or two ago we have slowly gone thru and tweaked certain programs in an attempt to offer you an even finer product that's more consistent and sometimes outflows stated numbers in our catalog and website (which we usually only visit once a year when its time to produce a new catalog). It's not that there was anything wrong with the Eliminators we have shipped in the past, we have just refined the process even further to retain an even more competitive edge. Most people that run the heads love the heads but its a big world out there and there are certainly other quality options to consider. I just want to inform you guys as much as I can about our product so at the very least its a solid consideration for all the right reasons.

We also know there are alot of variables in flowtesting and the types of equipment used, so the more we can potentially exceed the numbers on our own test equipment the better the stuff will look out in the field on your test equipment. More on that later....

I decided to snap a few pics of a production 210 right off the shop floor today with our latest tool path (only finalized a couple of weeks ago) and a few other bells and whistles we have picked up and implemented in the program.

Don’t forget guys....this is a mass produced $2100 pair of heads (not a $4k one off piece) and while that's obviously a few bucks, these heads are worth every penny and represent a bargain IMO considering the port design, chamber design, CNC execution, and all the trick hardware that comes standard equipment as well (aftermarket castings with a 3/4 deck, premium lightweight 8mm beadlock valves, lightweight springs and retainers, etc.)

CHAMBER / BOWL PICS

Image[/img]

NOTE THE TRANSITIONS BELOW into and out of the valvejob/chamber (very difficult to mass produce a part thats this accurate)

LOOKING DOWN THE INTAKE PORT

EXHAUST PORT OUTLET

EXHAUST PORT SHORT SIDE RADIUS

NOTE THE TIME invested in the valve shape/profile. Back cut intake with specific width angles....tulip exhaust valve with a radiused leading edge....all standard equipment. Also note the more desirable beadlock keeper grooves as well.

I mentioned touching on flow numbers....we are a stand up honest company and we stand behind every part we manufacture and produce....including the flow numbers that we advertise. Of course there are always production tolerances that can stack up in any mass produced mechanical part (tool life, CNC equipment tolerances, etc.) so we must also be realistic and take that into account as well. The bottom line is based on a properly calibrated SF600, we guarantee our numbers within 2% (there has to some reasonable amount of room for machine tolerances). This of course is based on the proper fixture bore, a properly shaped radiused intake entry (not clay), and a short curved pipe to simulate a header on the exhaust (curves immediately off the exhaust flange just like a typical header and straightens out for about 4" before terminating).

If you own a 1020 bench your numbers will likely be a little lower (especially the older 1020's)....as a rule they are generally a bit more stingy than a 600. Most of you guys know what’s strong and what’s not strong on your particular equipment, but if you have a bench that consistently reads similar to a 600 SuperFlow (or perhaps is a 600 SuperFlow) and you are getting numbers alot lower than the few percent I mentioned we want to hear about it. A PM or phone call to myself personally would be appreciated and we can discuss exactly what your experiencing. If I feel you have everything covered I will likely have you send the heads back on our dime for us to evaluate. We have never artificially inflated flow numbers and never will. We sell ALOT of our product direct to engine builders and they expect us to deliver as promised and we know that and try our best not to disappoint. AFR has a tremendous amount integrity and good ethics and customer service is also number one.

Guys....if ANY of you ever have an issue with our product....please try and get hold of me so we can discuss it. To those in this thread who have had issues with the flow numbers of our product I especially urge you to contact me. One of the main reasons I visit the various boards is to give support to our product.

Also one last thing worth mentioning.....if a head is ported that starts out at 210 cc's and ends up closer to 230 cc's it certainly shouldn't be compared to other heads that are still close to 210 cc's....it should be compared to other heads closer to the same finished ported volume to be a more fair comparison.

Its late and I’ve probably overstayed my welcome....just had a lot to share and alot to say....hope some of the info here is helpful

Regards
Tony Mamo
AFR R&D / Product Design Mgr
(661)705-8508

PS....Finished this at 1 AM in the morning but my cable modem is down. Looks like I will have to try re-posting it in the AM.

PSS....To those guys familiar and unfamiliar with our product that may be attending PRI, I would like to encourage all of you to stop by and see some of the latest improvements we have implemented in all our product line as well as some of the new stuff we are about to launch. I think you will leave with a better feel of our company and the people involved by spending a little time at our booth.
Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

I will say my AFR 195 Competition ported heads did exceed the adverstised flow figure published by AFR.
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

Somebody poked the left coast bear this morning. :D

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum