Darin Morgan Pro-Stock Ford Head......

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Re: Darin Morgan Pro-Stock Ford Head......

Post by swampbuggy »

I have read most of the replies in this topic/thread. I noticed some remarks about a new cylinder head being designed/developed and the claim was that they (whoever it was) copied xxxx 's cylinder head. I wish to lay this statement out for us to consider, ponder, think about. If we take the five most intelligent, respected, proven cylinder head designers on planet Earth and give them all the SAME parameters to design within, for the same short block (engine) , the same type of racing be it NASCAR Cup......NHRA Pro-Stock.... .Top Fuel, i am pretty sure the heads are gonna be almost identical ????? Mark H. :wink:
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

Hard to argue that point. Physics rule out every time.
GerryP

Post by GerryP »

Ditto. Fluid dynamics don't change based upon whose shop sign is above the door.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

swampbuggy wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:38 pm I have read most of the replies in this topic/thread. I noticed some remarks about a new cylinder head being designed/developed and the claim was that they (whoever it was) copied xxxx 's cylinder head. I wish to lay this statement out for us to consider, ponder, think about. If we take the five most intelligent, respected, proven cylinder head designers on planet Earth and give them all the SAME parameters to design within, for the same short block (engine) , the same type of racing be it NASCAR Cup......NHRA Pro-Stock.... .Top Fuel, i am pretty sure the heads are gonna be almost identical ????? Mark H. :wink:
Mostly,

It comes down to there only being a few arrangements that work out mechanically where the combination of head-bolts, push-rods, port-shapes, rocker-geometry etc all fit together.
Every time you try to improve one feature of one of the arrangements and finally have all the pieces worked-out to where they fit, then you discover that you have just done a huge amount of work to transform it into one of the other arrangements that was already known. That could be a few hours to a weeks work depending on how complete your model is.
Once you have been through that process enough times, you can predict what changes will transform one configuration into another.
None of it has been new for decades.
Now it is just optimization.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Thanks for that S.M.W., enjoyed reading it and makes perfect sense. =D>
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

swampbuggy wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:19 pm Thanks for that S.M.W., enjoyed reading it and makes perfect sense. =D>
You are welcome.

A lot of people like to imagine that engine development is some mysterious combination of genius and magic, it isn't either.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars