viewtopic.php?t=17928
-Gary Labrum
Wilder, ID

"faster, Faster, FASTER until the Thrill of SPEED overcomes the FEAR of DEATH!"
fordhemi
Post by fordhemi »

Thanks for the updates!
JohnsnsFord2@aol.com
Re: Darin Morgan Pro-Stock Ford Head......

Post by JohnsnsFord2@aol.com »

Are these new heads the ones Charlie wescott is running?
Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
Ex-Jim Van Cleve
1985 Mustang GT N/A 331
mach9
Pro
Pro

Post by mach9 »

This thread is about 9 years old. But to answer your question, Charlie is almost certainly running the "mirror" heads, which is what Larry Morgan and most anybody else that made decent runs with the Ford stuff was running. Basically a copy of the Mopar heads. The truth about what happened with the Darin Morgan designed wedge heads is about as likely to come out as who shot Kennedy. I was told by more than one person very close to the program that the wedge heads turned out to be complete turds and were basically unusable for P/S. Of course, as it turns out, the whole program turned out to be a turd as Ford bailed out on it pretty much before it got started, Thanks Jamie Allison.

P.S.- Looking at an associated thread, it looks like Darin deleted all of his posts related to the subject. I sure would like to hear his side of the story, or the side of anybody who really knows the truth.
Mack Johnson
'86 Mustang Footbraker
Pump gas 347
6.435 @ 104
JohnsnsFord2@aol.com

Post by JohnsnsFord2@aol.com »

I thought I had read that the wedge head was turned down by the sanction body and the mirror was accepted..I could be wrong though. Just seems weird that the topic was never talked about in 9yrs...

PS I was bored at work last nite lol
Stephen Johnson #2162
Horace Johnson #2167
SS/D 427 Ford Fairlane NHRA-IHRA
Ex-Jim Van Cleve
1985 Mustang GT N/A 331
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

They copied both the Mopar and the DRCE...........and could get either to run!
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

It seemed to be full steam ahead for a little while at least.

Be interesting to know what happened.

https://www.stangtv.com/features/darin- ... tock-head/
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
Zmechanic
Pro
Pro

Post by Zmechanic »

mach9 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:43 pm I was told by more than one person very close to the program that the wedge heads turned out to be complete turds and were basically unusable for P/S.
I find that a bit hard to believe for someone that has developed plenty of cutting edge heads. Unless of course they were shackled by some requirement that crippled the performance.
turdwilly
Pro
Pro

Post by turdwilly »

Zmechanic wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:59 pm
mach9 wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:43 pm I was told by more than one person very close to the program that the wedge heads turned out to be complete turds and were basically unusable for P/S.
I find that a bit hard to believe for someone that has developed plenty of cutting edge heads. Unless of course they were shackled by some requirement that crippled the performance.
Also seems to me that a man with the amount of success Darin has had would not have a hard time admitting that ONE of his projects wasn't a success. Especially with him apparently receiving a gag order, this whole thing reeks of incumbent big money intervention.
pamotorman
Guru
Guru

Post by pamotorman »

why not just adapt a set of GM pro stock heads to the ford block ?
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

I did the CAD work on the DRCE style head, from my perspective, it was a plan-b project in case the mirrored head didn't work out. Any head like that is just a blank canvas that anyone can make whatever they want to out of it.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

What was the point of this project? Why make a head that is just like a DRCE head? What was suppose to be better about it? Seems like an insult to Ford to make a new Ford engine just like a BBC engine.
Joe Facciano
Ron E
Guru
Guru

Post by Ron E »

JoePorting wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:42 am What was the point of this project? Why make a head that is just like a DRCE head? What was suppose to be better about it? Seems like an insult to Ford to make a new Ford engine just like a BBC engine.
First a BBC isn't like a DRCE. Second, like Jon said, a good cube P/S head doesn't tie you to anything. The developer can choose valve angles, locations, plug locations, pretty much anything. The one "must have" is it should have lots of aluminum.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

JoePorting wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:42 am What was the point of this project? Why make a head that is just like a DRCE head? What was suppose to be better about it? Seems like an insult to Ford to make a new Ford engine just like a BBC engine.
Because they work! LOL
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

The whole Ford Pro Stock program was "revived" by the late Jim Cunningham ( two time Lottery winner). He spent the millions out of HIS pocket to develop and have Ford put part numbers on stuff because of his dream. The engines made power but the Mustang body was horrible in the wind tunnel and on the track. There were reports of Larry Morgan bolting the Ford in his Camaro and running under the (carburated) record despite being slightly overweight. Probably different now that they have to compete in Nascar with the Mustang bodu
Jim's passing stopped things in their tracks until Charlie bought the rights from the estate. The new "any engine-any body" rule is to try and keep people in the stands to watch them run instead of hitting the pits for hero autographs. Factory Stock has more followers than Pro Stock.