Is solid roller lifter loading really the highest at idle?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

540 RAT
Expert
Expert

Post by 540 RAT »

ausbullet wrote:
[quote="540 RATI have run this set up for 2 1/2 seasons, 2 seasons with the Needle roller Isky Red-Zones and 1/2 a season with the EZ X rebuilt Red Zones.
Thanks for the info. Did you have a failure with your Isky needle-type Redzones, in spite of the Rev-Kit? This is an important question regarding whether or not the rev-kit idea really offers any true benefit in general, and for Big Blocks in particular. If the Redzones did fail, is that what prompted you to switch to the EZX upgrade?
Yes the cam was 'spalled' on 1 lobe the roller pin was badly worn on that lifter and the link bar was broken on that lifter. What happened first ????
I believe the roller pin or the cam spalling 1st and the link bar last. NB: This was still the original cam.

There was another lifter brand was recommended and tried, unsuccessfully.

The Isky's were refitted with 1 replacement lifter and link bar, to finish out the season.

The motor was rebuilt as a 565 and the lifters were updated to the EZ X rollers.

To clarify this further, the motor was originally fitted with Crower Severe Duty roller lifters that had 5 roller pins failing just short of 1 season, picked by increase on lash on those valves. The Isky Red Zones were fitted, the motor was still in the boat, without the rev kit and ran 1/2 a season before it was refreshed and the rev kit installed.
NB: the Crower lifters were NOT the HIPPO style.

I season is 20 hours race time and another 8 hours of low load running.
Thanks for all the info, but I'm not 100% sure I have your answer straight in my mind. So let me re-ask the question. Did your engine's lifters fail WITH the Rev-Kit installed, or did they fail BEFORE you installed the Rev-Kit? Thanks again for your input.
ausbullet

Post by ausbullet »

Thanks for all the info, but I'm not 100% sure I have your answer straight in my mind. So let me re-ask the question. Did your engine's lifters fail WITH the Rev-Kit installed, or did they fail BEFORE you installed the Rev-Kit? Thanks again for your input.
[/quote]

Yes the Isky Red Zone failed a roller pin with the rev kit.
Was it the cam or the lifter that started to fail first? I am not sure.
The Isky's with the rev kit did last over twice as long as the Crowers with NO rev kit, on the same cam.
You have to realise nothing lasts forever.
540 RAT
Expert
Expert

Post by 540 RAT »

ausbullet wrote:
The Isky's with the rev kit did last over twice as long as the Crowers with NO rev kit, on the same cam.
You have to realise nothing lasts forever.[/quote]

How much 'HOT" lash were you running when the Redzones failed with the Rev-Kit?
540 RAT
Expert
Expert

Post by 540 RAT »

540 RAT wrote:
ausbullet wrote:
------------

How much 'HOT" lash were you running when the Redzones failed with the Rev-Kit?[/quote]
540 RAT
Expert
Expert

Post by 540 RAT »

540 RAT wrote:
ausbullet wrote:
------------

How much "HOT" lash were you running when the Redzones failed with the Rev-Kit?
desoto30

Post by desoto30 »

Wolfplace wrote:
ausbullet wrote:
Mike,

I was refering to the 372-96-RH above.
I still haven't purchased the new set of EZ X's yet, still qualifing there performance.
Up to 19 hours total, after this weekend.
Yes they are looking the goods and I will keep you in mind to order the new set.
A bit of work to fit/adapt the kit, but, I believe the rev kit helps.

Steve
=
Hi Steve,
Thought that was you but I have sent a few sets to folks your way now so I wasn't sure

I agree, a rev kit is a good idea to keep the rollers in contact with the lobes, just makes sense to me although I have a number of BB's roaming around without them, none with them & your info is appreciated as I was not aware the Crower plate could be modified to clear the bosses in the Dart blocks

When you need a set just give me a hollar, I will be glad to help :wink:

Thanks,
Thanks Mike & Steve for the info
Best Regards Mark