Best Street Distributors

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Post by Dodge Freak »

EDC wrote:Is there a Mallory "Unilite" available for the application? If so use one. I really like the simplicity of those distributors. Shutter wheel and a light. Simple triggering method. Ran them in many strong runner street/strip engines.

Yes there is and theres a conversion kit to change the cap to a male post hei cap but then I'm looking at $300 total...darn gas wasn't so high I be more willing to go for it.

I am rough with my cars, not always but have been know to jump over railroad tracks--not like the Duke Boys :D but I don't baby my baby :lol:
desoto30

Post by desoto30 »

I'm with Bigjoe on the matter of pro comp Although I.ve not had anything to do with their heads,a lot if not all of their cheap??? knock off inferior products that I've been unfortunate enough to be involved with or seen either failed,didn't work properly or didn't fit Therefore we avoid their stuff.
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Re: cheap distributors

Post by Dodge Freak »

bigjoe1 wrote:I did start to use the Pertronics billet distributors , and so far I have not had any problems at all. They do not require any box ( extra cost ) and they have a two wire hook up( very easy ) They cost about 100 dollars less than an MSD, so this is what I am putting in all my street engines from now on.

JOE SHERMAN RACING

Hmm, that is nice you can run them like points with no box and their web site claim they can fire most CD boxes but my Mopar dist Summit is showing it cost $260..which is $30 more than Msd but then if my box gets sick, I can still run the dist--with the right coil--while the box is sent for repair. Mallory Unilight can be run like points to but I would need to change the cap to a male post...Pertronics comes with either type of cap plus claims to fire the plugs--with no box--stronger at higher rpms.

Since I can not decide between Mallory or Msd...maybe I go with Pertronics...they look pretty too 8)
Underdog
Post by Underdog »

There was a thread here a few weeks ago about dist. & boxes and many ppl liked Crane over others.
nosnerd

pertronix

Post by nosnerd »

i have has zero returns with the Pertronix and the Mallory 85 series HEI..

kudos for pertronix...great piece and a great value.they also have standard cap distributors-we just remove the vacuum advance most of the time...

al
"ignorance should be painful"
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Post by Dodge Freak »

Well the non vacuum advance models were not in stock plus they were $33 more than MSD...I went with MSD...I know if I ever decide to sell it on E-bay, I would get the most bids for it and lose less cash on it.

I take a good look at it before installing it...and remove the heavy advance springs...if it looks well made..and has no "made in China" sticker on it...I keep it and see how it is...any problems its under warnt. for a year and when it comes back, it be on E-bay for sale, lol.