Link to info on NHRA Pro stock engine tech

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

hsutton
Pro
Pro

Post by hsutton »

trmnatr wrote:If memory is correct wasnt Bob Glidden using NOS in Pro Stock ?
NO! It almost cost him a divorce because he got so mad at his sons for cheating. They only did it to show it could be done, not in order to win.
compguy

PS tech

Post by compguy »

This is the Professors idea of the 'Ultimate' PS engine:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_q ... ntent;col1
Barbapapa
Expert
Expert

Re: PS tech

Post by Barbapapa »

compguy wrote:This is the Professors idea of the 'Ultimate' PS engine:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_q ... ntent;col1
Well he makes suggestions for adding cams among other things but it's still a damn 2 valve pushrod engine although with shorter pushrods.
Where is it written that all engines in PS and other forms of racing must always be 2 valve pushrod ones?
Imagine the creative outburst that would follow if they drop that sacred requirement!
Mike S.
bigtuna

Post by bigtuna »

I would love to see to them moving towards the newer technology, fuel injection, dual over head cam 4v heads ect. At some point NHRA will have to deal with the next generation of fans.

I am 26 been racing and messing with car since I could drive, I love watching NHRA racing but there is a major disconnect between my generation of racing and what NHRA offers. Is the current PS technology fascinating? Yes, but there is a huge void since 99 percent of current engines used by my generation to race share very little with the basics of current PS and V8's in general.

I know that NHRA has it fundamental roots and rules, but at some point the disconnect between what fascinates current young racers (programmable EFI, Dual over cams, 4v heads, individual throttle bodies, variable valve timing, ect) will leave NHRA with a suffering fan base due to there being no connection to pushrods and carburetors. Stuff that the new generation of racers need to to go to the junk yard to even see or take apart.

I apologize for getting off topic, I just wanted to comment on the post above.
Street Stock 1991 CRX na 2 whp per ci
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

Pro Stock engines still make the highest specific torque of any engine and the highest power of any NA gas racecar engine despite not addressing modern OEM type technology yet. There is plenty of technology in a Pro Stock engine, just not in the areas associated with modern OEM engines. As far as less expensive engines go, V-8 racing is largely synonymous with carb and 16V unless you have the $$$ to get an FI 32V V-8 with variable cam timing race engine :shock: Carb'd 16V V-8s are readily available as crate engines or custom built engines, the cars to put a V-8 in, not so much.
stix818

Post by stix818 »

rfl28 wrote:Gents,
If you want to read a great Pro Stock article, go the Larry Widmer"s site " The Old One" and go to articles, and click on 'Building a Pro Stock Engine'' ...EXCELLENT ARTICLE.
Sure was!!! Amazing!!
Hellbound Train Racing
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

I must be blind. I can't find the artical. :?
GURU is only a name.
Adam
slowboogie
Post by slowboogie »

af2 I had the same problem. Click on archive then scroll down to cool readings. Should be the third article.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

slowboogie wrote:af2 I had the same problem. Click on archive then scroll down to cool readings. Should be the third article.
Thank you!!! Adam :)
GURU is only a name.
Adam
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Larry wrote the following:

There’s also a "black art" that I’ll mention regarding state of the art cylinder heads, and that’s steam manifolding. The design and construction are a pure art form, and if it’s not done correctly, you won’t be in the hunt. That’s all on that subject.
The flow rare for the intakes is 618 cfm @ .800" lift and 675cfm @ .800" for the exhaust ports. These values are only for comparison and are at a pressure drop of 28" H2O. We develop and flow components at "different" pressures than the "norm". The exhaust port will reach 85% of the above # by .400" lift. These lift #’s are not necessarily indicative of the lift #’s currently run in prostock as some cams yield over 1.0" net lift. I will say this, however, I feel the same way about valve lift as I do about rpm.

Anyone care to comment on "Steam Manifolding"? And is the intake and exhaust flow #'s backwards or???? :shock:
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
ijames
Expert
Expert

Post by ijames »

In the article on welding aluminum heads he talks some more about "steam manifolding" and tells an entertaining story about a set of Pro Stock heads he did for Dick Landy.
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net
hsutton
Pro
Pro

Post by hsutton »

af2 wrote:Read this and make you're own decision. 8)
http://www.draglist.com/artman/publish/ ... 0590.shtml
That is a great piece of analyzation on Phil's part. I feel it is exactly how Greg and Co. got their slight advantage. Now that Dave Connally is back in the mix things will be a whole lot tougher for everyone and least we forget them, KJ, WJ, and the unrelated AJ have gotten a lot faster over the last couple of months too.
Ed Wright
Pro
Pro

Post by Ed Wright »

bigtuna wrote:I would love to see to them moving towards the newer technology, fuel injection, dual over head cam 4v heads ect. At some point NHRA will have to deal with the next generation of fans.

I am 26 been racing and messing with car since I could drive, I love watching NHRA racing but there is a major disconnect between my generation of racing and what NHRA offers. Is the current PS technology fascinating? Yes, but there is a huge void since 99 percent of current engines used by my generation to race share very little with the basics of current PS and V8's in general.

I know that NHRA has it fundamental roots and rules, but at some point the disconnect between what fascinates current young racers (programmable EFI, Dual over cams, 4v heads, individual throttle bodies, variable valve timing, ect) will leave NHRA with a suffering fan base due to there being no connection to pushrods and carburetors. Stuff that the new generation of racers need to to go to the junk yard to even see or take apart.

above.
Around here there are many more young guys actually racing the LS series GM engines than ohc Fords or imports. They are EFI alright, but still 2 valve pushrod engines. They are the fastest domestic na production engine right now. Faster than most (all?) blown US production engines.
I think GM has proved the pushrod is not dead yet. And no, I don't race one.
http://www.fastchip.com/
SS/JA 4156
63 Nitrous Ratt Vette

Post by 63 Nitrous Ratt Vette »

bigtuna wrote:I would love to see to them moving towards the newer technology, fuel injection, dual over head cam 4v heads ect. At some point NHRA will have to deal with the next generation of fans.

I apologize for getting off topic, I just wanted to comment on the post above.
That is a very good point and I agree
stix818

Post by stix818 »

I see your point but don't agree totally with it. I've been around racing my whole life and I have no interest with the new street car scene at all. My favorite class is PS. The article that Warren wrote shows exactly how PS is affecting the real world market and I know a lot of people in the same age group that is the same way.
Hellbound Train Racing