Max Spring Pressure

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

learner

Max Spring Pressure

Post by learner »

What would you consider to be the maximum open pressure on a flat cam with out a hardened overlay?

Thanks
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Valve spring pressure

Post by speedtalk »

I've acutally never found the limit. With a standard core and regular lifters I was never able to try anything wild enough that would require me to test the limits of spring pressure. If they had a flat tappet cam rule they also had a rule that would limit rocker ratio. If the rules were more open they would allow a roller. What are you working on?
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
learner

Post by learner »

I've got a large solid in a boat. I'm wanting to run a 1.8 rocker on the intake and i'm having a difficult time finding a spring with the proper or decent closed/open pressures while being able to handle the lift without coil binding. I've looked at crane, isky, comp and crower and so far crower has the closest ones. I actually found a crower number but it has been discontinued. I have an installed height range of 1.85"-2.05" that i could use. I was wanting an installed pressure of around 150-160 that will work with .740" lift. Depending on the spring, it gives me a mid-high 400lbs or even in the low 500's. I've never ran that high a pressure on a flat cam. I'm not sure if it would work for a season without flattening the cam.
How about 144lbs @ 1.95" with 463 open.

Thanks
Last edited by learner on Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

I assume by the rocker ratio it's a BBC? How much RPM? Is the engine going to be dynoed?
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
learner

Post by learner »

BBC, max rpm is around 7400. I don't know if the owner will dyno it. Its an iron head motor and they just approved a Dart head. So i think most of his money will go into that motor.

Thanks
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

You've got your work cut out for you. At that RPM and lift you're either going to bounce the valves or wipe the cam - depending on the pressure. It's going to need near roller cam pressures to control the valves. If you're going to give it a try, get rid of as much valve side weight as possible - titanium, thin stems, lite weight retainers and locks. Oh, and don't forget church :wink:
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

cstraub wrote:1.8 rockers at .700" lift. Engines turn 6K to 9500. I don't let them idle below 1800 rpm and these are wet sumps. I know, scary,
Scary yes. Congrats for getting it to survive though. It's a standard non-welded core? Have you done anything special to get oil to the lobes? Are there any signs of valve float (beat up keeper grooves)?
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin
speedtalk
Site Admin
Site Admin
Post by speedtalk »

How many seconds is a typical run?
In Memory of Don Terrill
SpeedTalk Owner/Admin