General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Ape
Pro
Pro
Post by Ape »

ArizonaSpeed wrote:
Ape wrote:
I haven't tried them, but here's some info.

http://www.n2performance.com/lectures/c ... ecture.pdf

I've done some experiments with dimpling ports in areas right before potential airflow seperation (kawasaki 750 superbike motor), and it didn't help any on the dyno.......
Hehe
funny how people seem to read the same stuff, thanks for the link but i allready read it. Thats where my curiousity came from.
Alyso looked at hi patant apllic. But hey for a 4valver zr or any of that kind check out endyn, somewhere on the page there are pic´s of his dimple style civic chambers and pistons.
but im also trying to somehow put it into praxis on 2valve mx engines.

christian
There is always advancement to be made.
RJ

Post by RJ »

If the dimpling/ramping stuff helps, doesn't it sound like you have an issue elsewhere?, think about it, go upstream (intake port/seat) and fix the real problem.
Ape
Pro
Pro
Post by Ape »

Well yes but there is only so much you can do on a ohc aircooled engine without making a new cast of the head. I agree with the dimples, being perhaps in certain cases some sort of a fix. But i strongly believe that ramps to enhance turbulence and direct the squish, bring more efficient combustion. Also i do believe that dimples might help in certain areas depending on the combustionchamber shape.
There is always advancement to be made.
hydra
Post by hydra »

Ape wrote:
SStrokerAce wrote:Ape....

Remember the different sets the Pro Pack includes Rings with the pistons.... the ProSeries are more expensive but better quality race stuff.

Bret
Well yes but if its advertised correctly at the big retailer(s.....t), 535bucks a piece is really really a stiff price considerin that us made pistons are really good quality too, and getting sold for a lot less (540 a set). Arent the other ones being sold with rings too?

Anyways i would love to hear if anybody tried those mc farland golfball imprint pistons, since that technique makes me very curious but offtopic right now.

christian

I know its been a while, but pricing is per SET, not per piece isn't it? :? I was looking to order some of these soon...

http://www.flatlanderracing.com/mahle-ppakchevy04.html
Stevespeed
HotPass
HotPass

Mahle pistons

Post by Stevespeed »

I don't have a lot of exp. with Mahle. Been inside two dirt late model engines with them and it seems the skirts are too short for any kind of life expectancy. Both sets had the skirts collapsed and one set was cracked through the dome parallel to the pin. Their big advantage is they are light but to win, first you must finish.
bobqzzi
Expert
Expert
Post by bobqzzi »

I don't know about their American V8 stuff, but the euro stuff is tops. I made 560lb/ft torque in a 109 inch 4 cylinder with stock street pistons. When I disassembled to take a look, they looked new.