Cometic gaskets for iron W-2's

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Robert Kane
Pro
Pro
Cometic gaskets for iron W-2's

Post by Robert Kane »

What gasket should I be using with cast iron W-2's and 13.1 :1 ? Can I use ones for a "eighteen bolt" head and block?
Robert
Robert Kane
Pro
Pro
Post by Robert Kane »

anyone?
la360
Expert
Expert

Post by la360 »

I am not entirely sure as to what the exact differences are between the std style, and R3 style Cometic head gaskets, other than the additional head bolt holes. From what I understand, there seems to be s hortage of supply of Cometic head gaskets, try calling Bill Richardson at RAM, or Ryan Johnson at www.shadydellspeedshop.com
IHTH's
AL...
RyanJ

Post by RyanJ »

W2 head does not require any special head gasket. The R3 Chrysler race block does however. There is a water passage variation in those blocks near the lifter valley. Cometic makes a special gasket for the R3's with revised water passages. They call it a R3 W2 gasket when it is in 10 bolt form. If you are just using an LA block, you can just use a standard Cometic 10 bolt head gasket, even with a W2 head. The R3 gasket can also be used on an LA block. But you can't use the LA version on an R3.... confused yet? :shock:

RAM is out of 10 bolt .040 stuff except real small bore (4.04") I just talked to Bill today. He does have some oddball stuff like .027's. Evernham has the R3 W2 stuff in 4.10" X .040" on the shelf. I ordered a set this afternoon that will be going on an Edelbrock head 340. Cometic is about 4-6 week lead time right now, so everyone is being forced to find stuff on shelves to use.