Nitrous Help?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Walline

Nitrous Help?

Post by Walline »

Does anyone know if you can take a NOS plate(Mr. Big Shot) and pill it down, to say 100HP. I called NOS and the kid on the phone(who did not seem to know much or care) just said I could not. I would need a diiferent plate and solenoids. I would think I could at least use my solenoids. Any ideas? Thanks Everyone!
k-star
Guru
Guru

big shot

Post by k-star »

I did it with my big shot plat and did not have any problems....

I got the 100 hp fuel and nitrous jets, set my fuel flow according to the chart for 100 hp.

Keith
“If I hit you with this you’re going to be numb, that’s why they call them numb-chucks “Si Robertson
Walline

Post by Walline »

K Star, did that pill set up look good, as far as tune up? That is what I planned on doing, but I do not want to pop a motor. :shock: I called NOS again to try to get another opinion. He told me it will not atomize correctly. As far as the solenoids, he said it would not work, but did not give a real reason. Does anyone know the size of the holes and number in the smaller plates? I would like to compare it to my big shot. Thanks
k-star
Guru
Guru

PLATE

Post by k-star »

When i ran it on my car it went exactly 1 sec quicker in the 1/4 mile on the 100 hp jets....I ran 115 octane fuel and had the timing back 4 degrees and ran 2 ranges colder plugs...so i was on the safe side.. I had zero issues with it. Plugs look good and i did not see any signs of detonation..... I went through 3 bottles on this setting and never hurt anything.......

To be honest with you i never even though there would be a issue with it so i never called and asked if it would be ok.... When i did this i was a newbie to the juice so i asked a few people that are really good with it and they never gave me a reason to think there was a problem.....

Like i said before i did set my fuel flow to the chart spec for a 100hp hit. I think the nos systems are on the fat side anyhow so i really cannot believe that there would be a problem.

I am not sure why they say it will not work but would sure like to hear some tech reasons why?????? Maybe you are not going to get the exact 100 hp???? Not sure if thats there reasoning or not?????

Not to go off the subject but me personally.... I have not found many places where the tech guy on the phone is a bunch of help....

Go to http://nsca-racing.com/
post on the tech forum... A bunch of guys run the juice over there and that is where i got all my help..

Keith
“If I hit you with this you’re going to be numb, that’s why they call them numb-chucks “Si Robertson
Walline

Post by Walline »

I called another company that sells nitrous kits, and there tech guy said the Mr. Big shot spray bar holes have more total area then the 100HP pills them selves, so there would be a pressure drop? He said I could maybe do it, but the mixture may be less the best. I would like to test myself, but I am not ready to do it on this motor :cry: Any thoughts on the pressure drop? Also Thanks Kstar for the reply.
Not to go off the subject but me personally.... I have not found many places where the tech guy on the phone is a bunch of help....
I agree totaly! It drives me Crazy!!!
k-star
Guru
Guru

plate

Post by k-star »

Off the top of my head i would say that the spray bars in the plate have more sq in area then the 400hp jets?????? But i would need to do the math and find out......

Some body else jump in here if you know for sure.....

If you get a lettle less nitrous pressure i cannot see it doing any damage. The probelm with the juice always shows up when you have a lean fuel condition not a lean nitrous condition......Unless you dump a big bunch of extra fuel in, and at the 100 hp jet level that is not going to happen. I made a pass one time with the nitrous jet blocked and the car ran the same as it did on just motor. So the fuel side was flowing but there was no nitrous flowing through the plate......

All i know is it worked for me with no drama, but i am by no means telling you to do it if your not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about it......

Keith
Walline

Post by Walline »

I made a pass one time with the nitrous jet blocked and the car ran the same as it did on just motor. So the fuel side was flowing but there was no nitrous flowing through the plate......

I made a pass one time years ago with the bottle off and with a 150 shot the car stumbled because it loaded up with so much fuel. I also have a custumer with a 00 chevy truck and a 5.3. With a 125 shot and no nitrous the truck runs the same! But it is fuel injected.
ozrace

Post by ozrace »

Walline wrote:I called another company that sells nitrous kits, and there tech guy said the Mr. Big shot spray bar holes have more total area then the 100HP pills them selves, so there would be a pressure drop? He said I could maybe do it, but the mixture may be less the best. I would like to test myself, but I am not ready to do it on this motor :cry: Any thoughts on the pressure drop? Also Thanks Kstar for the reply.
If the bar holes didn't have more area than the jet, then the bar holes will become the jet won't they ?
In that case, a change of jet would do nothing because the primary restriction is at the bar holes.
Cheapstreetduster

Post by Cheapstreetduster »

you have it back wards
the jet is to small to adiquately feed all the holes in the spray bar
there probably either larger diameter holes or more of them or both
its like having poor water supply to your garden sprinkler.. if you cover
over some of the holes the water starts to gain pressure and velocity
the biggest issue i see is distribution cyl to cyl.. it depends on the intake
archetecture..
but you might find a plate on ebay or swap meet..
i dont think the selinoids would be a big deal..
and cranking bottle pressure up wont help. it will just make more gas
you want the liquid..
best of luck
cheap
mechanical engineer, carpenter by trade,love racing engines in general, drag race in the NMCA fastest street car cheapstreet class. i am a doit yourselfer
ozrace

Post by ozrace »

Cheapstreetduster wrote:you have it back wards
???
Are you saying that the holes in the spray bar should have less area than the jet ?
I don't think that's the case.
The difference between water and Nitrous is that the Nitrous expands and begins converting to gas when allowed to expand from a restriction (jet).
If the plate holes are excessively large in comparison to the jet, then the spray pattern might suffer, but my point was that if the holes in the plate were smaller than the area of the jet (as suggested by the tech guy quoted), then the jet would have little effect, and the holes in the spray bar would effectively determine horsepower capability.
Cheapstreetduster

Post by Cheapstreetduster »

only to the extent that if the drop in pressure was great enough before the plate/spray bars.. the spray bars metering are to large..
than you would effectively see a potential loss of what the jetting/hp setting suggest.
i would think in most plate kits the reason for the maximum hp #s
quoted by the kit. are because either the selinoid or the spray bars
have a flow limit.. such that a jet larger than what is the suggested maximum ( size for the specific plate) wouild be ineffective in increasing hp..
this would cause the plate to do/act as you suggest..(the plate becomes the meter or restriction of flow
i was thinking that the sinario that is mentioned above would be the opposite. since the bars/holes plate. are set up to flow larger amounts..
than the jets being used for the smaller shot.. i am sure it gets worse
the farther you get away from its suggested flow..be it more than specified or less.. per each perticular plate.
having to big a plate with the small 100 shot jet could/should cause the flow/pressure to drop just after the jet.. this would reduce the amount of liquid no2 actually entering the intake charge..(or foul up distribution) wich would lower the hp potential of the jet..
jsut a thought as i read..i didnt mean to offend with my comments
cheap
mechanical engineer, carpenter by trade,love racing engines in general, drag race in the NMCA fastest street car cheapstreet class. i am a doit yourselfer