NEW???? Dart sbc block

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Scatstroker

Re: -

Post by Scatstroker »

mbrooks wrote:
Fatman wrote:Why is it about $500 cheaper than a Little M sportsman? Where are the savings coming from?
ch-ch-chhh-chhhhhina?

Fortunately, NO.

From our DART rep Richard wanted to offer a block for crate engine builders - a market the Little M was still too expensive for. I don't see how they pulled $500 out of the block cost but that's another story...

They've also intended them to be able to be built in a production type environment with only a hone. While we probably won't ever build one in that fashion it's conceivable that production crate builders would be able to, making it even less expensive than other alternatives.

We were told we'd have them shipping by the end of last month (March), and again in April but both dates ahve come and gone without anything shipping... So we'll see.

Brian
www.adperformance.com
Fatman
Guru
Guru
-

Post by Fatman »

Why can't the little M sportman be the same price as this new block? or at least close to it? Where's the difference in production costs?

Is the thinner deck and bores enough to account for the 30 lb weight saving or are there other areas that are lightened that reduce strenght compared to the little M sportsman?
DTL504
Post by DTL504 »

Here is the downside of the new blocks. They do not offer the 400 Main Bearing Size for 400 yet. The new blocks are made for the SBC 350 Main Bearing. I you have SBC 400 parts you will have to get the Dart Little-M.
iadr
Expert
Expert

Post by iadr »

What is your (or your customer's) application or reasoning behind using the 400 main?
Not being rude, just curious...
dragrcr71

Post by dragrcr71 »

Probably using an OEM 400 block and want to upgrade to one of these and use the existing rotating assembly. That's the postion I'm in anyways. :)