VP Q16 eating rubber? Shelf life?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Re: VP Q16 eating rubber? Shelf life?

Post by JoePorting »

If I understood the Earls tech guy correctly, all fuel lines which aren't teflon coated on the inside weep fuel. This applies to both regular and racing fuels. I've found that very few fuel lines are teflon coated on the inside. I know on my car with Earls fuel line that when I shut off the main tank fuel valve, pretty much all the fuel in the fuel line weeps out within a week. :cry: I can tell because after about a week of sitting in the garage, when I open up the fuel tank main valve I can hear the fuel running in the fuel line like it's completely empty. Also, when I park the car, I can smell gas in my garage for about a week. So next time I re-hose my car, I'll have to make sure to get the teflon stuff, or use solid steel fuel line. I think only Aeroequip makes the teflon fuel line, although Earls has some smaller teflon lines for brakes.
Joe Facciano
BAracer
Pro
Pro

Post by BAracer »

Aeroquip isn't the only company that offers teflon fuel line.... I'm pretty sure Phenix Industries, XRP, Brown & Miller, Goodridge, Aeroquip, and even Earl's all sell teflon line and the appropriate fittings. The key is making sure that if you choose to use teflon line for fuel, you need to make sure that it's carbon impregnated teflon so that it can carry any static electricity through to the cover. Without carbon in the teflon, a static charge will puncture the teflon lining in order to get to the cover that is grounded.

Another way to solve the E85 and MTBE compatability issues is to use hose that is specifically designed to work with those fuels. CPE liners in the hose are not the right material. They will work just fine on a racecar, but if aromatics are of any importance, you'll want a teflon lined hose, or a Viton lined hose like Phenix Industries is set to debut in January.
allblowdup
Pro
Pro

Post by allblowdup »

WE have ran q16 and c14+ inthe past in the same engine and fuel system. The q16 on this particular engine made huge improvements. We also had more issues with the c14+ gumming up accel pumps etc than we had with the q16.
Mark

It's not that I learn slow it's just I forget so fast.
ijames
Expert
Expert

Re:

Post by ijames »

David Redszus wrote:During WWII, the military did extensive research to find fuel additives that would improve the performance of piston powered fighter planes. They tested 32 different compounds for octane, ignition, evaporation, etc.

The winning compound was......MTBE.

For those who are interested, I can email the NACA report that details the test results. It will put you to sleep i a hurry.
David, please send me a copy at carl.ijiames AT verizon.net. Thank you.
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net
brian

Post by brian »

Those of us that run fuel cells have been plagued with damage caused by fuels for years. Answers regarding leaving fuel in the cells depend on who you talk to. The basic rule seems to be no problem with leaded fuels but drain unleaded products. I learned on the dyno how fast most exotic fuels degrade in storage regardless of container. AV gas is designed for stablity over time but isn't really a good choice for many.
ijames
Expert
Expert

Re: Re:

Post by ijames »

ijames wrote:
David Redszus wrote:During WWII, the military did extensive research to find fuel additives that would improve the performance of piston powered fighter planes. They tested 32 different compounds for octane, ignition, evaporation, etc.

The winning compound was......MTBE.

For those who are interested, I can email the NACA report that details the test results. It will put you to sleep i a hurry.
David, please send me a copy at carl.ijiames AT verizon.net. Thank you.
Oops, that carl.ijames AT verizon.net, sorry.
Carl Ijames, chemist not engine builder
carl ddott ijames aatt verizon ddott net