Engine Failure Diagnosis (pictures)

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

williamsmotowerx
Expert
Expert

Post by williamsmotowerx »

I don't understand... if the machinist screwed up he either needs to buy you a new block or new pistons.

If I screw something up, I make right. Why wouldn't he?
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

xenginebuilder is ONE SHARP GUY. You should thank him profusely for putting the time into telling you what you NEED to hear instead of what you WANT to hear. It's good advice to listen to him, then thank him for his time.

Using a set of $700 pistons just because they cost $700 isn's going to make it right. Arguing about good advice sent you way isn't going to solve any problems, either. Sometimes you've just got to 'eat it' and mark it up as a learning experience.

I've been the victim of bad machine work as well, and started buying mic's, etc. I take the measuring tools to the machine shop and check everything before paying for it. At first, they were a little taken back, but now, they are used to it, and THEY KNOW their work will be checked... for whatever that's worth. Once you pay for the parts, you're generally stuck in most cases.

Good luck with getting it 'right', and listen to what these guys say... especially xenginebuilder. I've followed his responses, and he really seems to know what he's talking about.

Good Luck!
RL
Guru
Guru

Post by RL »

Your new pistons is 86mm (original is 84mm) . What head gasket you use? Original head gasket bore is 85 mm. Look how much pistons edge is higher than block. It can touch gasket and emit sounds. Those engines assemble very good- i made them more than 10 years and have no problems.
This must be common on BMWs it happened to us .Customer complaining about machine work and the head gasket was smaller than the bore and the piston was pounding the fire ring. The customer should of checked it on assembly.
garart

Post by garart »

af2 wrote:You are saying the Getarag trans sucks? You are correct! :lol:
yes corret!! ZF practically have no problems.
robert1
Guru
Guru

Post by robert1 »

garart wrote:
af2 wrote:You are saying the Getarag trans sucks? You are correct! :lol:
yes corret!! ZF practically have no problems.
No problems, that is if you don't need to back up!!!!