very new to porting and need some help

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

blak golf

very new to porting and need some help

Post by blak golf »

is there any books or anything i can buy to teach me the basics. how to calculate the port sizes and all thats stuff. im building a home flow bench right now, it should be done in a couple weeks im ganna start with a old vw 8v head to learn then i have a spare vr6 head. btw this is not for me to make any money whatsoever its cuz i love doing my own work. when i found the link on building a flowbench i just had to. you can follow up on the build here
http://forum.vwsport.com/viewtopic.php?t=19614
it will flow a bit more then 600 cfm once its done.

any help is better done none. so if anyone has anything post it up please
crazycuda
Expert
Expert

Post by crazycuda »

blak golf you get around huh. Jk saw you on the flow bench forms. check out www.powerhouseproducts.com they have some porting stuff and a fiew books. You might also want to check out www.goodson.com for books and porting materials.
JRM

PS heres another good way to learn
http://racingsecrets.com/speedtalk_head_porting.shtml
blak golf

Post by blak golf »

man im horrible when i wanna learn something. ill go anywhere i have to. i always research my stuff for a couple weeks before jumping into something. thats one thing i learned by building my project car. research as much as possible. and i found this forum :)
blak golf

Post by blak golf »

come on boys 190 views and nothing?
Rick360
Guru
Guru

Post by Rick360 »

I am only an amateur and know very little compared to some of these guys on here, but these are things that have been, and still are, a help to me.

I don't know of any books on how to port heads. The very best thing I've found to learn head porting is to look at, study, measure and flow every head you can get your hands on that was ported by someone that knows what they are doing or that was on an engine that ran well.

In particular, study heads similar to the type you are wanting to port, but study others too for a better overall understanding of airflow. Practice grinding on some old heads until you have a good feel for your grinder and the burrs that you prefer.

One other thing, get a pitot velocity probe and use it. It helps you see the path the air is really taking, where the air is really moving and how fast its moving.

Rick
cboggs
Guru
Guru

Post by cboggs »

a study in fluid dynamics will take you a very, very long way when porting heads.

I'd get some books on fluid dynamics from amizon and start learning, ..

A head is nothing more then a hole that we are flowing fluid ( air ) through that has a variable venturi.

Curtis
Race Flow Development
Simultaneous 5-axis CNC Porting
http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com
gofaster
HotPass
HotPass

Post by gofaster »

I bought a flow bench and started grinding! I was an instant success! At screwing up heads.
Seriously, a friend showed me a few things he knew on SBC heads back in the '70's and I thought I had a handle on porting, my stock cars ran near the front.
About 5 years ago I bought a flow bench and started working on heads again and my results weren't what I expected. After a few calls for help to Superflow, they recommended that I go to Joe Mondello's porting school. I went and Joe helped me immensely. He taught me techniques for quickly producing smooth efficient ports, and corrected my bad habits and misconceptions. Joe's course is thorough, systematic, intense, great. We spent classroom time learning theory of head design and a lot of time in the porting room.
Going to Joe Mondello's school was the best thing I've done for my porting. Since then I've kept my eyes open for articles about porting and websites of other porters. I also bought the speed talk interviews on porting. The "Porting Professor" cd gives me a nice review of the things I learned in Joe's school, and the other cd's add to it and make me think.
If you go, take a tape recorder and let it run, there is a lot of knowledge and experience there for your benefit.
blak golf

Post by blak golf »

thx ill buy the cds soon, i will consider the school after i listen to the cds and try to port a head or two. ill try to cut a deal with my parents to send me to the school. LOL ohhh yah im 20 and every single penny is in my car :( sadly every paycheck goes there
cboggs
Guru
Guru

Post by cboggs »

gofaster wrote:I bought a flow bench and started grinding! I was an instant success! At screwing up heads.
After close to 30 years of doing this stuff, .. I still screw up now and then,
but I'll never admit that in public. :shock:

It's not easy, .. and I think Joe's school is a great way for some one starting
to avoid learning the bad habits that will really hurt you later on.
Again, I can't stress how important a basic understanding of
fluid dynamics is. It'll help to undersatnd what the air is doing, ..
what it wants, .. and how to make power.

try this book,
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... 93-2217523

The other thing that I find most important is the people
on this site, .. you can never master this stuff by your self, .. locked
in some room with a grinder and a flow bench. The ability to
"bounce" things off other pro's in the field is most important.
Just remember to respect their time as they have work to do too.

Curtis
Race Flow Development
Simultaneous 5-axis CNC Porting
http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com
blak golf

Post by blak golf »

thx alot guys i really apreciate everything. and dont worry i dont mess around around when i put my mind to something. im not the average kid tuner :) ill buy the fluid dinamic book and the cds soon and read up over summer. during school time its a bitch. its ganna help out anyways im supposed to have a class on it in 2 summesters.

once the bench is finished ill post up some pics of what im doing wrong. so u guys can point me in the right direction.

btw when it comes to the tools i dont really know what to pick, should i go for a air die grinder or a electric one. my compressor is preatty big (24gal 4 hp) and how about the burrs to pick? http://www.carbidebur.com/longshank/longshank.htm should i just pick up one of each and stick to what i feal more confortable with?
gofaster
HotPass
HotPass

Post by gofaster »

Before I say anything else, I want to make it clear that I don't have a stake in "Mondello Technical School". I am just passing this info along for the benefit of anyone who would like to use it.
Joe Mondello has burrs in special shapes that are purpose built for porting. His inverted cone is great for shortside work. The flames and eggs are in different sizes and diameters so you can get into tight spots as well as work the open areas. He stocks anything you could need to port heads. The prices are very reasonable. Here's a link:

http://www.mondello.com/
blak golf

Post by blak golf »

thx guys its rare to go on a forum and have people answer, with real answers. im sure ill take the class next summer. it would come cheaper then scrapping 2-3 vr6 heads :lol:
blak golf

Post by blak golf »

btw i have a other question, does it really make a difference if its a dry bench or a wet bench. i read that the wet ones are better. how true is this? and why would it be better. i know that what im building isnt anything impressive but at my age jumping into this i dont really have 10k to put into a nice one.