Q16 VP fuel?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

RayJE Carburetors
Pro
Pro

Post by RayJE Carburetors »

my experince with oxygenated fuels and carburation is that power drops off when the fuel is sheared too much or atomised too much.

if you find that the power drops off with more cylinder temp then you might have too small an aerosol size.... coversely if you make more power with colder temp....your in the same boat

i know that i see Pro stock carbs from the US that are built for C25 and guys out here run Roo25 ...my feeling is that they arent optimal for the oxygenated fuel
RC Performance Engines

Post by RC Performance Engines »

Can some one post the specs for Q16 & lets find out why it some times has small power gains & some times big power gains. Im with Ray saying theres more HP to be made with droplet size. I also think carb size & ign timing & curve..
Australian Pro stock use VP ROO25.
Im interested how both fuels compare..

Ray.. dont work too hard : :D
RC PERFORMANCE ENGINES PTY LTD
PROFILER PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS AUSTRALIA
3/6 SLEAFORD ROAD
WINDSOR GNDS SA 5087
ADELAIDE SOUTH AUSTRALIA
PH 618 8266 4257 / 61 0419 400 289
http://www.rcperformanceengines.com.au/
http://www.profilerperformance.com
Ron C.
Expert
Expert

Post by Ron C. »

Tech Bulletin
World Leader in Race Fuel Technology™ Tech Bulletin prepared by Steve Burns, Research & Development

Q16 Racing Fuel

Q16 is simply the best drag race fuel ever made. And coming from VP Racing Fuels, that’s a big statement. Q16 represents true world class technology. With more power, octane and consistency, Q16 will work well not only in drag racing, but circle track and off road, spanning the application range better than any fuel ever made—from naturally aspirated to nitrous to blowers. It’s recommended for engines with compression ratios up to 17:1.

Power – Q16 has 10% oxygen content by weight, requiring a 4-6% increase in fuel flow, which contributes to making 3-5% more power than competitors’ fuels. With its rapid vaporization rate, Q16 has superior burning speed and makes more pressure in the cylinders, both of which also make more power. Q16 still has relatively low vapor pressure, unusual in a fuel with an oxygen content and vaporization rate this high.

Octane – Q16 has a motor octane of 116, virtually the same as VP’s C16, but its resistance to detonation is even better—6 to 8 numbers higher than its standard ASTM rating—due to the increased fuel flow. This is particularly relevant to circle track, dirt track and off road racing where radiators and air ducts can get clogged by dirt and debris. While this occurs during the course of a race, octane requirements will change, but Q16’s effective octane rating will preclude detonation throughout such conditions. Notably, Q16 also will contribute to lower engine operating temperatures due to more efficient combustion which yields lower exhaust gas temperatures.

Consistency – Due to its oxygenated compounds and better vaporization, Q16 offers a wider air-fuel ratio and improves fuel distribution cylinder to cylinder. This means a Q16-powered vehicle will be much more consistent run to run and won’t vary as dramatically with altitude or density changes. In bracket cars that vary .02-.04 in

Property Typical Test Methods
Specific Gravity @ 60F° .716 ASTM D 4052
Motor Octane 116 ASTM D 2700-86
Reid Vapor Pressure 6.76 ASTM D 323
Distillation F° ISO 33405
10% Evap. 141.0
50% Evap. 174.0
90% Evap. 214.5
E.P. 260.2
Oxygenated Yes
Leaded Yes ASTM D 3237
Color Yellow

ET during the day, Q16 has routinely demonstrated it will cut the variation in half, to .01-.02.

In terms of overall performance, a vehicle switching to Q16 can expect to see substantial improvements. A typical 550 in. drag race engine will pick up about 30 peak Hp and .03-.04 in ET in the 1/8 mile.

Q16 is priced about the same as competitors’ 116 octane fuels, but will outperform them all. In the context of a racer’s budget, even if Q16 is $4/gallon higher than your current fuel and you use ¾ gallon per pass, you’ll only spend an extra $3 per pass for a .03-.04 gain. That’s the cheapest horsepower gain you can buy!

If you’re not bound by fuel rules, Q16 is truly the only fuel you should be using.

Technical questions on application and tuning of Q16 can be directed to VP’s Technical Department at 812-878-2025 or tech@vpracingfuels.com. Questions regarding purchase and delivery of Q16 can be directed to the appropriate VP regional distribution center, each of which is listed with contact information on VP’s website – vpracingfuels.com. Q16 is available in 5-, 15-, 30- and 54 gallon drums, as well as bulk.

To maintain the original properties and comply with Health and Safety regulations, this fuel should be handled and stored in a cool place and always maintained in tightly sealed drums.

VP RACING FUELS, SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS, USA TEL: 210-635-7744; FAX: 210-635-7999
www.vpracingfuels.com

Headquarters: San Antonio, Texas.
Offices in Delaware, Indiana, California, Georgia; independently owned VP Distribution Centers in Florida, Kansas and Washington; Calgary, Montreal and Toronto, Canada; Sydney, Australia

The four most important properties of racing fuel

You can't make a racing fuel that has the best of everything, but you can produce one that will give your engine the most power. This is why we produce different fuels for different applications. The key to getting the best racing gasoline is not necessarily buying the fuel with the highest octane, but getting one that is best suited for your engine.
1. OCTANE - The rating of fuels’ ability to resist detonation and/or preignition. Octane is rated in Research Octane Numbers (RON), Motor Octane Numbers (MON), and Pump Octane Numbers (R+M/2). Pump Octane Numbers are what you see on the yellow decal at the gas stations and represents an average of RON and MON. VP uses MON because this test method is more prevalent in racing. Most other companies use RON because it is higher, easier to come by, and sounds better in marketing messages. Don't be fooled by high RON numbers or an average -- MON is the most important for a racing application. However, the ability of the fuel to resist preignition is more that just a function of octane.

2. BURNING SPEED - The speed at which fuel releases its energy. In a high-speed internal combustion engine, there is very little time (real time - not crank rotation) for the fuel to release its energy. Peak cylinder pressure should occur around 20° ATDC. If the fuel is still burning after this, it is not contributing to peak cylinder pressure, which is what the rear wheels see.
3. ENERGY VALUE - An expression of the potential in the fuel. The energy value is measured in BTUs per pound, not per gallon. The difference is important. The air fuel ratio is in weight, not volume. Remember, this is the potential energy value of the fuel. This difference will show up at any compression ratio or engine speed.
4. COOLING EFFECT: The cooling effect on fuel is related to the heat of vaporization. The higher the heat of vaporization, the better its effect on cooling the intake mixture. This is of some benefit in a low rpm engine, but can be a big gain in high rpm engines.
Creekside Racing Ministry
John 14:6
Ron Clevenger
CSU Gas Dominator ProCharger nonintercooled
Top Eliminator West http://www.topeliminatorwest.net
Steve Morris http://www.stevemorrisengines.com
6.49@219mph (still tunning)
cs19

Post by cs19 »

Ran Q16 vs. F&L ST (118) today, had to jet up a few sizes, picked up 15-20 HP. The stuff has a very stong aroma and its nasty smelling but it works well.

someone mentioned you need to drain your fuel system after each race? Any truth to this? Heard it eats rubber.??

Also does oxygenated fuel have a short shelf life?

Thanks.
kick2008a
Post by kick2008a »

Anyone try the Q-16 on a Big Mopar Wedge? We tried it last season on a 655 Mopar (gas only- 1200Hp) Wedge in a rear engine dragster and went from 96 jets all the way up to 108's and it was still too lean. At 102-104's it had blue flames coming out of the headers, almost looked like natural gas flames <smile>. The ET's never really changed, maybe .01 better.

One problem could have been, we had one of the first batches of the Q-16 and they've probably refined it a little since then. We're going out this weekend with a new supply of fuel and larger jets, and a newer 1275 Hp wedge motor. Anyone have experience with this combo and Q-16?

Thanks,
Jim
Big Speed
Pro
Pro

Post by Big Speed »

Our carb suplier is now offering Q16 happy metering block mods.They will bring the jet size down within tuning range. caution anyone using Q16 should have carb Wet Flowed ahead of dyno schedule, all engines should be dyno tested to check fuel curve. We use AED in richmond ,Va for carbs.
usaracing

Post by usaracing »

Just a side note. I was on the phone with VP yesterday and they told me Q16 does NOT contain methanol. They use MTBE and some other nasty stuff as their oxygenate.

It may be worthwhile to try to limit your exposure to this stuff. Just my 2 cents.

James.
James Baldwin
USA RACING ENGINES / THE WOP SHOP
713-645-4000
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Don't know about 'other nasty stuff', but MTBE is not carcinogenic whereas methanol is very toxic. Might be good to see the MSDS for Q16. (or any other fuel one might be inclined to use.)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Ron C.
Expert
Expert

Post by Ron C. »

Bill, here ya go................blessings..............Ron.

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/pdf/Leaded ... 20(US).pdf
The link didn't transfer, go to VP Racing Fuel and you can get the info.
Ron Clevenger
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Thanks Ron. The last of the address refuses to transform into a hyperlink: http://www.vpracingfuels.com/pdf/Leaded ... 20(US).pdf
Highlighting the whole thing, then copying and pasting into the site address location at the top of the forum page worked for me.

The info looks to be generic for any 'gasoline'-type fuel, but like most such documents, if taken at face value would have us running, not walking away from any vehicle, much less driving one, or heaven forbid, spilling the contents of float bowls or washing parts in the stuff!
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Ron C.
Expert
Expert

Post by Ron C. »

Yea, I came to the same conclusion, generic to race gas in general. I try and have as little contact with skin as I can today. Unlike my earlier years and thinking I'd live forever.

Blessings...........Ron.
Ron Clevenger
nitro2
Vendor

Post by nitro2 »

Ron C. wrote:Yea, I came to the same conclusion, generic to race gas in general. I try and have as little contact with skin as I can today. Unlike my earlier years and thinking I'd live forever.

Blessings...........Ron.
I remember as a kid and beyond, parents, bystanders or whatever would always make the comment " You should probably wear gloves, or you probably shouldn't get that on yourself, or you probably shouldn't breathe that, that stuffs not good for you". How often has "that stuffs not good for you" been said to people and no one listened. I remember thinking, of course its not "good" for you but unless it is going to make you ill in some way in the next day or two then its not a concern. This was 30 years ago and times have changed, but what should have been said was "get your !@#$%%^ hands out of that or 20 years from now you will get cancer from it and die, end of story".
Scooter
Re: Q16 VP fuel?

Post by Scooter »

It seems to me Q16 was developed to mimic methanol... Oxygenated, doesn't move as much et with atmospheric conditions, cooling effect, more power. Seems like a huge money maker for VP at 6x the price. Why don't we just use methanol and save a bunch of money.

Thx,
Scooter
PFC1
Expert
Expert

Post by PFC1 »

Because it's still considered gas and many classes will not allow alcohol.
Pullin' for Christ
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

PFC1 wrote:Because it's still considered gas and many classes will not allow alcohol.
True, but since its characteristics are much like methanol it should not be allowed either... Or just allow methanol... Or just have a spec fuel provided at the event. I don't get some of these sanctioning bodies.... Q16 is expensive as hell...

Lets imagine that there are no fuel rules. Is there any reason to choose this golden fuel over methanol?

Thx,
Scooter