Q16 VP fuel?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jmarkaudio
Vendor

Re:

Post by jmarkaudio »

David Redszus wrote:It is interesting to note that all gasoline fuels make virtually the same BTUs of heat energy per pound of air burned. Same being defined as within one percent.
Yet clearly, fuels can and do produce power improvements in certain engines under certain conditions. Why is this?
Maybe the oxidizers improve the burn characteristics and burn speed in the engines they go on. Meaning the engines were possibly not using the full potential of the fuel they had...
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
bones08
Re: Q16 VP fuel?

Post by bones08 »

i have heard of two drag racers trying Q16 two years ago have the same troubles as kick2008a. way lean and not being able to jet up enough to get the boog out. was this a early problem with the fuel or was both there carbs max out for jetting?
I have been scared to try it after hearing this but the one dragracer with his bbc 632 has been mixing Q16 and C16 50% with good increased dyno numbers.
RCJ
Expert
Expert

Post by RCJ »

One reason against methanol in oval track racing is looseing twice the weight due to fuel burn off changes your handling.
bigjoe1
Show Guest
Show Guest

Post by bigjoe1 »

This is an old topic, but in the last two years, I have built and run quite a few serious race engines with this fuel. I go up 4 or 5 jet sizes from the C-14 or C-15 race gas jetting. I have consistently seen 30 to 35 Hp on 800 HP Sb Chevys, and as much as 50 Hp on full race BB Chevys ( 1100 HP ) It is pretty expensive to run, but you get what you pay for in this case. I have not tried it in lower compression engines.. I alway have 15 to one or higher compression ratio

JOE SHERMAN RACING ENGINES
JDR Performance
Pro
Pro

Post by JDR Performance »

bones08 wrote:i have heard of two drag racers trying Q16 two years ago have the same troubles as kick2008a. way lean and not being able to jet up enough to get the boog out. was this a early problem with the fuel or was both there carbs max out for jetting?
I have been scared to try it after hearing this but the one dragracer with his bbc 632 has been mixing Q16 and C16 50% with good increased dyno numbers.
It'll work pretty well if the carb is set up for it. Just changing the jetting only covers part of what needs to be done. You really need to change the squirters and recalibrate the idle circuit. There will be horror stories about any fuel that isn't used with the right stuff. The 50/50 blend works well, there are a lot of people doing it. For oval track stuff, the crate motors respond well to the oxygenated fuels, and you don't lose the rear percentage from fuel burn off. Down side, cost.
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

bones08 wrote:i have heard of two drag racers trying Q16 two years ago have the same troubles as kick2008a. way lean and not being able to jet up enough to get the boog out. was this a early problem with the fuel or was both there carbs max out for jetting?
Sounds like a factory 3 circuit Dominator. The combination of the mainwell size and idle feed tube in the mainwell pose a restriction when trying to get enough fuel through it when the engine displacement is high enough even on gas, or on boosted apps. Q16 compounds the problem. It can be fixed by converting it to a 2 circuit carb, or using wide body metering blocks from BLP that relocate the idle circuit and does not use tubes. Here is a picture. If you are interested I'll be happy to help you set one up.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
3pedals

Post by 3pedals »

I used the stuff on a 185hp 2 stoke snowmobile drag race engine, it seems less effected by temperature, which is a plus when temps for snow/ice races can vary from 0*C to - 40*C.
I did not notice a seat of the pants power gain over c-14, and if there was much gain I would have noticed by the rpms the engine was pulling through the CVT, granted I was set up slightly rich.