Engine dynos

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

Yes, I have a DTS. We can hear valvetrain problems very easily through the intake ductwork. The engine will start to "talk" back to you as soon as there is any reversion at all. You can hear when the intake valves start bouncing on seats, or when hydraulic lifters start to pump up. The 14" duct to carb is usually sealed, but does not have to be, because THE ROOM is in a very slight depression. This prevents exhaust and heat from contaminating carb inlet air. We do not use a fan to blow air into the carb.The carb is exposed to normal atmospher that is monitored by DTS weatherstation. The inlet air temp does not change more than a few degrees during the day.
Luckily, my closest neighbors like me and don't give me any problems, but a new guy recently moved in 300 yards away that works the night shift and sleeps during the day. He complained to the police that we were racing cars up and down the road. When the cops showed up at the shop to arrest me for reckless driving or something, I showed them where the noise was really coming from and they were fine with the noise as long as it was between 6:00 AM and 10:00 PM. The officials that you really need to worry about are at the department of public health. Noise pollution from commercial/ industrial property to other commercial is not too strict-87db, but commercial to residential is VERY tight-68 db. I talk louder than that. In a strictly residential neighborhood, you are at the mercy of your neighbors. If they are persistant and get the right people on their side they can make your life miserable.
I will post pictures later this week of dyno cell and outside mufflers and ductwork.
You can call me at work to chat about technical details, just try to wait till after we officially close at 5:00 pm EST. I usually stay a couple of hours after closing to try to catch up on estimates, etc.
Ask for Bill Carlquist at [860] 274-0742