General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

OldSStroker
Guru
Guru

Re: Lobe seperation question

Post by OldSStroker »

randy331 wrote:
Joe Mendelis wrote: What a load of crap. This is why I don't buy those magazines.
Come on Joe don't hold back, tell us what you really think.

I buy the magazine, I just don't always buy the info.

Hey, did you see the new artical where low lift flow is the most important, because the engine sees it twice, and high lift once? :D :) :shock: :lol: :lol:

Randy
SEE it? Hell, Joe WROTE it! :)
[i]"There are some people who, if they don't already know, you can't tell 'em."[b]....Yogi Berra[/b][/i]
[i]"Being able to "think outside the box" presupposes you were able to think in it." [b]--Bob Lutz[/b][/i]
Lazy JW
Pro
Pro
Post by Lazy JW »

randy331 wrote:
SStrokerAce wrote:
chevy_power wrote:Is this why gm has gone to wide lsa's for their ls engines? Or is it to perserve the idle quality.
It IS ONLY FOR IDLE QUALITY, you would get better fuel milage with more overlap than the OEM cams have. The guys in GM Powertrain know this but the platform guys want smooth idles.

Bret
Why is that? I would have thought, with full ex, reducing overlap would help mileage. Too early of EVO?

Randy
I too would like to learn more about this.
Joe
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

OldSStroker wrote:
randy331 wrote:
Joe Mendelis wrote: What a load of crap. This is why I don't buy those magazines.
Come on Joe don't hold back, tell us what you really think.

Hey, did you see the new artical where low lift flow is the most important, because the engine sees it twice, and high lift once? :D :) :shock: :lol: :lol:

Randy
So with low lift flow being so important, maybe we should set up our valve train to have the valve bounce off the seat. Then our engines will see low lift flow 3 or 4 times!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

I guess you wouldn't want the valve to bounce too high, then you'd be accessing mid lift flow!! :lol: :lol:

Think Joe would help wright that artical?? :wink: :wink:

Randy
Last edited by randy331 on Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldSStroker
Guru
Guru

Post by OldSStroker »

randy331 wrote: So with low lift flow being so important, maybe we should set up our valve train to have the valve bounce off the seat. Then our engines will see low lift flow 3 or 4 times!

Randy
Most valves do bounce a few times when they close. Let's treat that as a good thing rather than the problem it is.

I can see it now on those other "tech" forums:

The newest TOTW (Trick Of The Week)....LLBF

Increase .015-.025 lift flow as much as possible on the intake to take advantage of the bounce. Be very aggressive on the IVC ramp to get more LLBF (Low Lift Bounce Flow). This along with tiny, high subsonic velocity ports will make tons more low end torque.

Do you think we could sell that? I'll ask Joey M. if he can work on that LLBF. I'm thinking he'll probably go for 15°-20° seats and a huge intake valve to get the most curtain area.

We should promote/market them as the LBF heads. We'll let folks figure out what the LBF really means.

Jon
[i]"There are some people who, if they don't already know, you can't tell 'em."[b]....Yogi Berra[/b][/i]
[i]"Being able to "think outside the box" presupposes you were able to think in it." [b]--Bob Lutz[/b][/i]
Joe Mendelis

Post by Joe Mendelis »

randy331 wrote:
OldSStroker wrote:
randy331 wrote: Come on Joe don't hold back, tell us what you really think.

Randy

So with low lift flow being so important, maybe we should set up our valve train to have the valve bounce off the seat. Then our engines will see low lift flow 3 or 4 times!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:

I guess you wouldn't want the valve to bounce too high, then you'd be accecing mid lift flow!! :lol: :lol:

Think Joe would help wright that artical?? :wink: :wink:

Randy
Randy, I did write about how great it is to have all that sweet low-lift flow for more "torque". It was supposed to be on the newsstands Tuesday!

Jon, the LBF "Low Bounce Flow" head is coming along. So far we have tons of torque. The top secret VJ specs are 0* topcut .300 wide, 15* seat .080 wide, then a 30, 45, 60, 75, 90. You can NEVER have more than 15* difference in the valve job angles; Remember, the air can't make that turn!
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

So to take advantage of LLBF, one would need to increase valve bounce.

So what valve material will increase valve bounce?

Would it be better to have the valve bounce several times real low, or one or two times a little higher?

I guess this would depend on what the flow #s were from your,

"LLBF bench" :lol: :D :shock:

Randy
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

randy331 wrote:So to take advantage of LLBF, one would need to increase valve bounce.

So what valve material will increase valve bounce?

Would it be better to have the valve bounce several times real low, or one or two times a little higher?

I guess this would depend on what the flow #s were from your,

"LLBF bench" :lol: :D :shock:

Randy
The key to making the LLBF head work is this valve. (also known as the "Pogo valve")

Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
OldSStroker
Guru
Guru

Post by OldSStroker »

Keith Morganstein wrote: The key to making the LLBF head work is this valve. (also known as the "Pogo valve")

I like it! We could make the "ballast mass" (BM) from Mallory metal so it wouldn't protrude too far into the chamber and maybe raise the compression ratio unacceptably high (>10.0:1).

With the pogo feature we could tune the valve to have max bounce either at torque peak or hp peak (if they were at different rpm).

Jon
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

OldSStroker wrote: With the pogo feature we could tune the valve to have max bounce either at torque peak or hp peak (if they were at different rpm).
Maybe we could set it up to bounce more with increased rpm. Then there would be no end to the power potential, or rpm it made it at.

I guess in an engine like this, the more out of control the valve train, the more HP.

Randy
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Post by Dodge Freak »

What needs to happen one day is to replace the camshaft.

Thats what all auto makers have been trying to do. Expect the valves need to open and close many times a minute.

Who ever does that can have the motor run great at all speeds.
OldSStroker
Guru
Guru

Post by OldSStroker »

randy331 wrote: Maybe we could set it up to bounce more with increased rpm. Then there would be no end to the power potential, or rpm it made it at.

I guess in an engine like this, the more out of control the valve train, the more HP.

Randy
There are so many engnes like that around that we need get the LBF heads on the market soonest!

Jon
Greezer
Pro
Pro
Post by Greezer »

Have a nice day
Last edited by Greezer on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dodge Freak
Guru
Guru
Post by Dodge Freak »

Greezer wrote:
How about a solenoid actuated valve .

Thats been what tried for so long now. Guess nobody has got it to work perfect for a long time yet. This way the computer could control the valves and have a short duration at low rpm and longer duration at higher rpms.

As its now, you just run a high stall converter and forget low rpms but the new cars can't do that.

They get it done someday-you would think.
chevy_power

Post by chevy_power »

what about the f1 engines with air nuematic valves? I've always wondered how those worked.
Speed kills, save lives, drive a honda
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Greezer wrote: How about a solenoid actuated valve - just bouncing the valve repeatedly for the event? It could be contained within the confines of what is now the boss, giude, and stem. Maybe triggered off the crank. No cam, lifters or pushrods to worry about,.
How about an overhead cam with just a bunch of speed bumps on it??

Greezer wrote: just mapping the LLBF for the maximum low lift bounce factor (MLLBF). Maybe a metal film vacuum coated ceramic valve.
I like this! In one thread we've introduced several new very advanced engine terms to the racing world.

LLBF
LLBF head
LLBF bench
just to name a few, and the newest, and my favorite.

Maximum Low lift Bounce Factor, but that would add a new term,

Maximum Low Lift Bounce Flow Factor.

I can't wait to read Joe's next magazine article!! 8) :lol: :lol:

Randy