Flowmaster Outlaw muffler - anti-reversion?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BradH
Guru
Guru
Flowmaster Outlaw muffler - anti-reversion?

Post by BradH »

Flowmaster's round Outlaw mufflers have a series of "attenuation rings", instead of packing material or other sound reduction devices. They don't claim that this design does much for the decibel level, but the rings appear to create a row of "mini anti-reversion steps".

Anyone have experience using them, and if there is an AR effect from this design? I was thinking the short 3.5" ID version would fit in between my collectors and the X-pipe of my exhaust system, instead of the standard straight pipes. Thanks - Brad
Newold1
Guru
Guru
Re: Flowmaster Outlaw muffler - anti-reversion?

Post by Newold1 »

Read the posts on here on "Merge collectors and anti-reversion devices" and Calvin Elstons post about that subject. :wink:
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

BradH wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:07 pm Flowmaster's round Outlaw mufflers have a series of "attenuation rings", instead of packing material or other sound reduction devices. They don't claim that this design does much for the decibel level, but the rings appear to create a row of "mini anti-reversion steps".

Anyone have experience using them, and if there is an AR effect from this design? I was thinking the short 3.5" ID version would fit in between my collectors and the X-pipe of my exhaust system, instead of the standard straight pipes. Thanks - Brad
Brad,

The further the 'anti-reversion' element is from the port the worse it works. Any A/R device needs to be right at the port to work at it's best.
As for Flow Masters my experience has, in the main been that they don't 'master flow'!
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

David, per your old Performance With Economy book and S/T circa 2010: http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=22507 is there any better understanding now as to why the concept of AR primaries hasn't seen more widespread use?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Would it be somewhat similar to the mufflers with the discs that you load and unload to adjust the sound, etc? I can't recall the name, even though it's on the tip of my tongue.

Edit: Supertrapps? Didn't know they bought out Jardine Performance Products in '12.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

MadBill wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:42 pm David, per your old Performance With Economy book and S/T circa 2010: http://www.speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=22507 is there any better understanding now as to why the concept of AR primaries hasn't seen more widespread use?
I think they fell prey to the Bigger is Better mind set.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Newold1 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:35 am Read the posts on here on "Merge collectors and anti-reversion devices" and Calvin Elstons post about that subject. :wink:
I've followed that thread, too, but didn't want to hijack it with my question.

My application has 2" x 3.5" headers that connect to a 3" X-pipe about 20" after the collector flange. It has full-length tailpipes and Dynomax Utra Flo mufflers in the typical before-the-axle location.

Things I've been considering are replacing the short 3.5"-to-3.0" collector adaptor with a longer tapered style, or incorporating some style of anti-reversion device into the same section. The cam is 266 at .050", so reversion at low RPM, especially with a full exhaust, is very likely.
Last edited by BradH on Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:02 am Would it be somewhat similar to the mufflers with the discs that you load and unload to adjust the sound, etc? I can't recall the name, even though it's on the tip of my tongue.

Edit: Supertrapps? Didn't know they bought out Jardine Performance Products in '12.
No, a different design than Super Trapp. I'll post a pic I found of the style I'm asking about later for those who aren't familiar with it.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

You could make an insert like this to reduce your collector or cut one end off to create a A/R device.
https://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/uploa ... 51.gif?233
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I did this followed by a reducer in a 3" but I have no idea if it helped but it seemed like a good idea at the time. also a picture of the collector in my Kooks Headers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please Note!
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

Should an AR device also attempt to mimic a merge collector by reducing the ID right at/after a straight collector? That wasn't my understanding, and was expecting to maintain the 3.5" ID off the collector flange until it transitions into the rest of 3" system. I'm all ears...
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

David Vizard wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:44 am As for Flow Masters my experience has, in the main been that they don't 'master flow'!
So I've heard... :lol:
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

BradH wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:39 pm Should an AR device also attempt to mimic a merge collector by reducing the ID right at/after a straight collector? That wasn't my understanding, and was expecting to maintain the 3.5" ID off the collector flange until it transitions into the rest of 3" system. I'm all ears...
Good info here on Calvins blog.
http://www.exhausting101.com/?p=68
Please Note!
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

GARY C wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:11 am I did this followed by a reducer in a 3" but I have no idea if it helped but it seemed like a good idea at the time. also a picture of the collector in my Kooks Headers.
Neatly done, but might not the effect be similar to two short segmented megaphone-like pair of ~2" and 4" primary extensions?
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

MadBill wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:28 pm
GARY C wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:11 am I did this followed by a reducer in a 3" but I have no idea if it helped but it seemed like a good idea at the time. also a picture of the collector in my Kooks Headers.
Neatly done, but might not the effect be similar to two short segmented megaphone-like pair of ~2" and 4" primary extensions?
Not sure, the thought was like a 4 into 2 into 1 into a merge collector for $10.00 on a $166.00 set of headers. :)
Please Note!