Rodec block Questions?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

af2
Guru
Guru

Rodec block Questions?

Post by af2 »

SOO I purchased a Rodec block I was hoping to run a Wet sump oiling there is no provision for a filter and I think I have that figured out, Maybe. The rear cap is drilled for an oil pump but the hole looks small. I was seeing if others might have insight on this. Thank you for any feedback.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
DaveMcLain
Guru
Guru
Re: Rodec block Questions?

Post by DaveMcLain »

I have a Rodeck block at the shop right now that a customer brought in just the other day. That one doesn't have a cap that's drilled so he's planning on running a dry sump. There must be a lot of variations in those blocks with a bunch of options etc. Otherwise his is pretty much like a Chevy 400 block except for the cam bearings.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Dave, thanks for the quick reply. I am wondering about the rear cap. I will investigate more.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Run a single stage belt driven pump with an external pickup line running to a pickup in the wet sump & plumbed back into the block like a dry sump pressure stage.

Peterson does a nice setup.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

UUUUG ... No room in my 33 Willys chassis. Until I have it mounted at least. It is tight.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

GURU is only a name.
Adam
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

KnightEngines wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:17 pm Run a single stage belt driven pump with an external pickup line running to a pickup in the wet sump & plumbed back into the block like a dry sump pressure stage.

Peterson does a nice setup.

This is about the best advice you'll get. Every Rodeck small block I have seen is devoid of any provision for a wet sump internal pump system.

Few shops have the necessary skills, tooling, and information to convert one of those blocks, and honestly, those blocks are not worth the effort. They were notorious for cracking in the main webs.

The one Rodeck small block I converted for street use had the system described above. I did it with a Moroso pan and parts.
Keith Morganstein
Guru
Guru

Post by Keith Morganstein »

Ad states "needs to be lined bored"

#4 main looks welded
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Automotive Machining, cylinder head rebuilding, engine building. Can't seem to quit #-o
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

That is not the block I have. The block came with the main bearings in it and are perfect. But it is a 1996 block without the valley struts. the bore is also very good and no damage at all I can see. I will look into the oiling issue using the Peterson.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

I've welded up a couple of them that have cracked the mains (both broke cranks & pounded the mains hard).
It's a 100% sh|t job!

Cut out the crack, preheat & weld, peen welds, dress welds, peen again.
Then remachine all the damn cap recesses coz the block is out of true after being beat up & welded - I skimmed the entire bottom of the block to true it, then recut the cap recesses to the right depth. Then it can be line bored - & you better have good tooling coz the damn steel caps will make chips that carve up the alloy & you can't really line hone much as the hone will favour taking out the alloy.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

KnightEngines wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:34 pm I've welded up a couple of them that have cracked the mains (both broke cranks & pounded the mains hard).
It's a 100% sh|t job!

Cut out the crack, preheat & weld, peen welds, dress welds, peen again.
Then remachine all the damn cap recesses coz the block is out of true after being beat up & welded - I skimmed the entire bottom of the block to true it, then recut the cap recesses to the right depth. Then it can be line bored - & you better have good tooling coz the damn steel caps will make chips that carve up the alloy & you can't really line hone much as the hone will favour taking out the alloy.
My block is not the one shown. I bought it last year for a new build. Everything looks and mics perfect. I am just at the point of how I am going to oil it.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Yeah I know yours is good, just warning others not to buy a cracked one unless they want a headf*ck!
That one for sale is cheap for a reason - PITA getting those mains sorted.

A thread on Roedeck's bought back memories of fighting with a couple of them.
One of the ones I had to weld was pretty used up, but back then they were a $$ thing & replacements weren't easy to get over here - I spent a day helicoiling pretty much every damn thread in the thing - double helicoils in most holes. Remachined pretty much every working surface on that one, it wasn't cheap, but it turned out good.
The other was near new & mint other than the cracked mains.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Knight, thanks for your input. The Canton pan showed up yesterday and I will start the oiling deal.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
racear2865
Guru
Guru

Post by racear2865 »

I have one here now with a hole in the side the size of my fist. Am welding up now and I too worrying about line hone as Ive done 2 before and they are a bitch. You could get a cap drilled for oil as I had one here recently. They would do about anything you wanted on request.
reed