2.2 Dodge Turbo Engine ??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

JodyB
Pro
Pro
Re: 2.2 Dodge Turbo Engine ??

Post by JodyB »

Still have my old glh omni started playing with in 96. Ate alot of pistons way back when the only info in magazines was from buick gn and svo's. Way back when being a turbo guy meant it was gonna eat some parts, and you didn't blame anyone.
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

Eventually ran 7.34@100 in the eighth in the omni with very basic parts. Biggest ahaaaah!! moment was sectioning a swirl head to find over 1/2 inch of aluminum hotspot in the tit of the heart shaped chamber, causing detonation.
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

Made an open chambered head out of the swirl casting, similar to an old small block mopar, with consistent thickness, and "availability" of coolant to the chamber. Also drilled water passages oversize in block, head gasket, and head below exhaust ports.
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

In the end, the engine was very forgiving of the tuneup. Where previously the engines would bust the ringland between the 1st and 2nd ring before you could ever hear knock, the open chambered headwould eat the center of the piston with no other ill effects given the wrong tuneup and sparkknock.
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

Grab your sawsall or bandsaw, cut a swirl 2.2 head in half at the tit and have a look. It's over a 1/2 inch aluminum with no possibility of coolant flow behind it, that becomes a glowplug under sustained high combustion temperatures
In-Tech
Vendor

Post by In-Tech »

JodyB wrote:Grab your sawsall or bandsaw, cut a swirl 2.2 head in half at the tit and have a look. It's over a 1/2 inch aluminum with no possibility of coolant flow behind it, that becomes a glowplug under sustained high combustion temperatures

I'm with ya, same goes for L29 454 cu in BBC iron heads as well as the 8.1L supposed BBC LS copy. Preignition just waiting for a chance. Yuck :cry:
Heat is energy, energy is horsepower...but you gotta control the heat.
-Carl
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

Also, went 7.7@91 in the eighth with a maxed out stock early turbo1 combo in the omni. Key was a huge throttle body and elbow before turbo.
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

Stock early turbo1 plumbing and throttle body limited high rpm boost to 16psi in testing. Vacume gauge between stock throttlebody and compressor inlet pegged when mid rpm boost acheved 21psi, and final boost was 16psi. Fabbed new 3 inch inlet and throttle body, reduced in size at turbo inlet.
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

Acheived 230ish dynojet whp with a very basic eary t1 combo, with a big throttle body and inlet tube, no exhaust at 21 psi. Later added supplemental 100% methanol injection for much greater run to run repatability.
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

In truth, the 7.7 eighth mile t1 runs saw a 30psi gauge pegged until a 5500 shift where boost dropped to 27-28psi. On 110racegas of course.
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

In truth, i never played with the g-casting bathtub chambered head. Things kindof stalled on my glh junk motor development at 7.3@100 in the 1/8th when the owner of the dyno shop i worked for had a tantrum about killing the hondas he was trying to bring in for hotrod honda engine building and tuning.
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

That last motor was a stock 1985 bottom end turbo1 motor. Ported swirl head with stock valves.
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

Woops, 1986 shortblock/ bottom end
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

Big deals. Stock hydraulic lash adjusters(lifters) bleed down. Put spacers under them till they're damn near solid. Put some real valvesprings on it. The super 60 cam works well with low differential pressure. Ex to intake.
JodyB
Pro
Pro

Post by JodyB »

In-tech, thanks for the bbc insight. Failure analysis in my testing led to a great big why didn't i see that before moment.